USB Memory Sticks

User-D1FEEA51-D1F5-4697-860C43559FCDE3F1 09:51 04 Feb 2007

Hi There Folks
A good friend of mine has recently developed an infatuation for USB memory sticks, (don't ask!) saying that it was a "Good Idea" for extended communications between our two PCs'.
Falling for her blandishments I duly purchased a 1GB specimen, plugged it into one of my USB sockets and "hey presto", NOTHING happened!
Reading around the subject brought me to the conclusion that the problem was my use of Windows 98SE, my friend is using XP Professional.

Tentatively approaching my mysoginistic local computer dealer resulted in a shower of rather inappropriate remarks, such as "...£40 to just look at it ... £60 an hour plus cost of any parts ....", etc. - WOW
Members of this Forum have always come up trumps in my previous PC escapades, so here goes:-
I now understand that a Driver is needed for these memory sticks to work under Windows 98SE, is there one generic driver for any type or size of Stick?
- Or are there several different drivers? - Does the make of mother board make any difference? etc.
As you can see lads, I'm rather in a bit of a quandry here - any suggestions as to what, where and how to get the necessary driver(s)?
All ideas to solve this problem will be appreciated.
My motherboard is one of the MSI KT4V series - MS-6712 (v1.X) ATX Mainboard.

Halfpenny

Totally-braindead 09:55 04 Feb 2007

Is the memory stick a branded one, I assume it came without a disk. If you know the make of it you might be able to download the driver from the manufacturers website.

Chris the Ancient 10:59 04 Feb 2007

Same problem for me, unfortunately!

XP Home on my 'main' machine and W98SE on my laptop.

And even when I went to the manufacturer's site for my stick, I had no luck. They said I had to put in the part number engraved on the side of my stick and it would find the appropriate driver. However, the manufacturer's site didn't even recognise the part number.

I wish you more luck than I had.

Stuartli 11:04 04 Feb 2007

In such cases you may/usually have to download the particular manufacturer's drivers.

A read through click here (especially the Windows 98SE section) may help.

Also do you know about the Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack (a labour of love by the author) which updates 98SE right up to the conclusion of Microsoft's support?

See:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?