USB Memory stick - Driver required ?

xerty 07:04 25 Feb 2008

Hi all,

Just borrowed a USB Memory Stick (not a mini hard drive) from a mate to copy some stuff, but my system keeps asking for a driver.
I thought that there was no need for a driver for these sticks, or am I wrong and I need a driver ?
Checked with my mate about a driver, but he didn't have one.
Any ideas ?
I am using Vista Home Premium 32bit.
Strange thing is, he says it works on his sons Vista PC.

TIA,
xerty.

Technotiger 07:42 25 Feb 2008

Look in C:\WINDOWS\System32 for the driver.

xerty 07:52 25 Feb 2008

Can you be a little bit more specific ?
There are over 15,000 files in that location.

Technotiger 08:36 25 Feb 2008

I can't be specific because I don't have Vista, but this advice how to do it, is from a Windows Vista Official Magazine ...

If everything you plug in to the USB asks for a Driver - wait and be patient - then select BROWSE/ Paste ... C:\Windows\System32
Then WAIT!!!

That's it, all done!

xerty 10:08 25 Feb 2008

Everything else I have plugged in to my USBs work ok - wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, USB modem, external hard drive, printer.
It's just seems to be this stick that is being a pain.
I did try the C:\Windows\System32 location as a driver to see if it would work, but, it didn't. I get this error :
"USB Flash Memory
Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device
Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.
USB Mass Storage Device
The system cannot find the file specified.
If you know the manufacturere of your devices, you can visit the website and check the support section for driver software."
Just for info. It's a play.com 2gb memory stick.

Technotiger 10:29 25 Feb 2008

Hmm, it seems you are not alone, have a look through these you might find an answer - failing that, the only other advice I can offer is to sell sell that stick to someone who has XP, then get yourself one that works with your Visa. Or, maybe play.com will do an exchange for you.

click here

Sorry I cant be more positive - I was so sure my first response would have done it for you.

xerty 21:04 25 Feb 2008

Thanks for the link Technotiger. After reading wuite a bit I found the solution. It looks like this happens to a lot of Vista PCs, so may help others too.
The solution can be found here :
click here

Many thanks for trying to find the answer. Now I can at last use the stick :-)

Technotiger 21:10 25 Feb 2008

Grreat, glad you are sorted - thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone