USB memory key puzzle!

wotbus@ 14:17 20 Apr 2010

4 computers - 2 x XP Eng, 1 x XP Fr, 1 x Win7 Eng.
2 USB memory keys - 1 x Sony, 1 x SanDisk.
Until recently both USB keys worked normally in all PC's.
Now only the Sony key works properly in all PC's.
The SanDisk key works properly in all PC's except on of the XP Eng PC's, let's call it "X"!
Therefore the problem lies between "X" PC and the SandDisk key.
I think it's the PC but what's wrong?
When I plug in the key nothing happens and it is not recognised in My PC as a removeable device.
All the USB ports on "X" function correctly when I plug in any other USB device - except when I plug in the USB key.
Normally I would save this for a wet Friday afternoon but the suspense is killing me :-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:01 20 Apr 2010

If you set the DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES environment variable, Device Manager will show you the "ghosts" of past devices that are no longer connected to your system (or in the case of USB devices, were perhaps attached to a different USB jack) if you enable Show Hidden Devices. From there, you can right-click and uninstall all these non-present devices. (Don't worry, the OS will detect and reinstall the drivers automatically when devices are reconnected.)

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
2. At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER:
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
3. Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
start devmgmt.msc
4. Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager.

NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Managers before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer.
5. When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager.
6. Type exit at the command prompt.

Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices

wotbus@ 15:26 20 Apr 2010

Crikey Fruit Bat /\0/\, you are becoming my personal advisor ;-)
Thanks for all that. I haven't come across this sort of remedial action before so I am very grateful for your reply.
I'll give it all a go later and let you know how I get on.

wotbus@ 17:10 20 Apr 2010

It gets better!
Uninstalled the SanDisk via DM non-present devices.
Plugged it in to try - Windows recognised it but then I got the Windows "Found new hardware" Wizard!
Followed prompts - one folder launched from left to right, like they do when you install files - then STOP with a message Data Invalid?
So I thought the driver Windows was trying to load was corrupt. Went to the SanDisk site and it would appear I don't need a driver for this USB Key and XP?
Something else I have just noticed a bit strange.
In the taskbar I have the Safe to remove icon. When I interogate it, it refers to my master HDD???

wotbus@ 18:58 20 Apr 2010

There's loads of info on the SanDisk site which I am currently wading through - watch this space :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?