USB Mass Storage Device not recognised

sobeitjedi 13:12 24 Jan 2006

Hi.

I have a 40GB iRiver mp3 player which connects to my Windows XP PC via USB. I’ve used it for over a year without any issue until now. In the last few days, when I connect the device to my PC it isn’t listed as a drive in My Computer. In Device Manager there is a yellow exclamation mark next to USB Mass Storage Device. I’ve tried looking on iRiver.com for a driver but can’t see one.

I’ve tried attaching the device to another PC (Windows 2000) and it works fine. Any ideas?

CLONNEN 13:17 24 Jan 2006

Try Logging Off and then Log back in again - sometimes works for my external USB 1.1 drive.

Or try Restarting your PC with the USB device plugged in - Windows will usually detect it while loading all the startup programs etc.

I only ever have this problem with XP systems - Windows ME and 2000 USB devices get detected as soon as I plug them in.

CLONNEN 13:20 24 Jan 2006

Forgot to mention make sure USB device is switched on during the Restart.

sobeitjedi 13:21 24 Jan 2006

I have rebooted the PC a few times but never with the device plugged in. Anythings worth a go I guess!

sobeitjedi 20:33 24 Jan 2006

Ok - so it works when I leave the device switched on and plugged in with a reboot. Great. But I don't want to do that every time I want to use the device. When I plug it back in now, I get the same error. I don't want to reboot every time I use it.

Totally-braindead 21:31 24 Jan 2006

I think you should have a look at this and perhaps try it click here

woodchip 21:52 24 Jan 2006

Try this in Device Manager Uninstall the USB with Yellow and restart your computer

AndySD 22:08 24 Jan 2006

click here# and have a look as it may be the pc has the device stored but incorrctly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?