USB Keyboard USB Mouse Trouble

TandyPC 00:57 18 Jan 2009

To start, I own a Dell XPS 400. Recently I performed a system update that Windows usually has happen every so often. I use Windows XP Home. After I did the restart, the keyboard wouldn't type. I've had this problem before and I usually just restart it or unplug and plug it back in with restart and it would work. So for some reason I could not get it to work probably because I was being impatient. I looked up a few things online to figure out how to quickly fix it. While reading I must of took a wrong direction, being that I'm inexperienced I wouldn't have none I have and I entered Control Panel > System > Device Manager and from there I disabled all of my USB Root Hubs in the Universal Serial Bus controllers section. Seeing as that was a big mistake, I am not stuck and can not figure what to do. If formatting is an option I will try but if someone else knows anything else I will be willing to try that too. There isn't any data one the HDD that I want to keep or that I can not recover, so it is whatever it takes.

There are no PS2 ports so that is out of the question. There isn't anything in BIOS I could find that would help me. The keyboard and mouse works in BIOS but it does not in windows. I tried using the Dell Reinstallation CD but every time I came to where I had to press "Enter" to install it wouldn't work. I pressed enter and nothing happened. So I tried putting in an original Windows XP Home cd it when through and allowed me to press enter but the next screen said:

"Setup did not find any hard dis drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue."

What the hell do I need to do, this is getting annoying and I would like ALL options or I'll have to post another one of these.

AndySD 11:17 18 Jan 2009

You can enable the USB services in the Recovery click here.

Service

usbhub

Other USB Services.

usbccgp
usbehci
usbohci
usbstor

Jim_F 11:52 18 Jan 2009

There is a chance that if you boot using safe mode (F8) then Windows won't take over the USB devices. Then try and do a system restore.

If this doesn't work then you need to do a repair install. I'm guessing you have an SATA HDD which is why XP can't see it so you need to copy the SATA drivers to a floppy from the DEll driver disk and press F3 when you start to install windows.

TandyPC 00:45 19 Jan 2009

This Dell has no floppy drive.

Jim_F 22:15 20 Jan 2009

Sorry - the link and spec I followed showed an FDD.

You may be able to put these files on a memory stick or CD and find them there - if not a USB or internal FDD may be the only way out. I keep a USB FDD drive for emergencies - so far its worked for bios ugrades and drives installs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?