USB Keyboard USB Mouse Problem.

TandyPC 21:34 11 Jan 2009

To start, I own a Dell XPS 400. Recently I performed a system update that Windows usually has happen every so often. I use Windows XP Home. After I did the restart, the keyboard wouldn't type. I've had this problem before and I usually just restart it or unplug and plug it back in with restart and it would work. So for some reason I could not get it to work probably because I was being impatient. I looked up a few things online to figure out how to quickly fix it. While reading I must of took a wrong direction, being that I'm inexperienced I wouldn't have none I have and I entered Control Panel > System > Device Manager and from there I disabled all of my USB Root Hubs in the Universal Serial Bus controllers section. Seeing as that was a big mistake, I am not stuck and can not figure what to do. If formatting is an option I will try but if someone else knows anything else I will be willing to try that too. There isn't any data one the HDD that I want to keep or that I can not recover, so it is whatever it takes.
--Thank you

STREETWORK 21:57 11 Jan 2009

Have you gone into control panel, keyboards. Here you can at least see if its listed and check the properties. Sounds like the update changed the keyboard to something other than UK...

T0SH 22:03 11 Jan 2009

Try to boot into safe mode (the common way is to switch on your PC then tap tap tap about once a second on the F8 key until you get to a black screen with various options from here use the up down arrow keys to select Safe Mode from the list then hit enter

from the desktop proceed to System Restore and go back to a point before you did the updates this action will also reverse the changes you made to the usb hubs

Now the Dell factor some Dell PC`s have a different access route to Safe Mode so be sure to read your manual or check with Dell support on line

Cheers HC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:48 11 Jan 2009

Plug in a PS2 mouse / keyboard

enter BIOS and set USB legacy (for DOS) to "enabled"
sve and exit (F10)

the USB devices should now work.

reboot into windows and it should find new hardware and reinstall the USB ports

TandyPC 05:08 12 Jan 2009

Streetwork, that's impossible to do. T0SH, I tried safe mode but the mouse and keyboard are still not working. Fruit Bat this Dell doesn't have PS2 only thing here is USB. I entered BIOS but I didn't say anything in there to will allow you to do as you have said.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:05 12 Jan 2009

Keyboard working to get you into BIOS?
Not working in windows?

TandyPC 06:31 13 Jan 2009

Yes keyboard works in BIOS but not in Windows.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 13 Jan 2009

OK that means its a windows problem only.

Windows should reinstall USB ports as it boots, however if it isn't it may mean a windows epair could help do you have a XP Home CD?

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

TandyPC 16:21 13 Jan 2009

Okay I will try that, but when I tried that last time, I got to the part where it gives you the option to select "setup windows xp now , press enter" and when I went to press enter the keyboard wouldn't respond.

TandyPC 16:52 13 Jan 2009

Okay I tried it and I was able to hit enter. But now it says
"Setup did not find any hard dis drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone