USB internet dongle prolblems

golfpro 04:33 04 Aug 2009

I have a Samsung NC10 netbook (XP home). At the moment I am connected to the Internet by cable through a router on my main system. Yesterday I received a USB dongle from my local mobile phone company for mobile broadband (on contract), its an Austria Co Telering a subsidiary of T-Mobile.
I plugged the dongle into my laptop and installed it as per the instructions all went well, I then inserted the pin No OK, But there is no connection to the Internet, the connect/disconnect box is greyed out. I took it out side away from my Routers WiFi range but still no connection. I use a mobile phone from the same Co. with no connection problems. I must have missed something on the initial set up but I can't think what
Any suggestions before I take it to the shop please.

dogtrack 07:17 04 Aug 2009

It could be that you are not in a 3G coverage area. If that is the case, I would have thought you could connect by 2G....which alas is pretty dire. Perhaps it would be prudent to try your dongle connection in a different area.

Mine for instance, will not connect at my home. But at work it connects very well and yes I am supposed to be in a 3G area at home...

If no connection is available at any location, then maybe the dongle is flawed and needs changing.

golfpro 08:06 04 Aug 2009

I think I traced where I went wrong. I didn't read the instructions properly in the accompanying paperwork they sent with the dongle. It seems for security reasons the SIM card had to be activated, Durrrr!!! a quick phone call to the mobile company service line sorted that one out.
What's that thing they say "Fools Rush In..."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?