USB HUbs

WallyD 13:02 25 Mar 2007

I have a four port USB hub with only one port used for my external HD. I then connect my scanner from a direct port to port two on the hub and the scanner wont work ie no bells etc.
I have four ports on my PC and manageing fine BUT I cant understand why a four port hub only works with ONE item connected as I might as well just sling it. I may be thick but would appreciate a little knowledge from the more experienced. Cheers

robgf 13:10 25 Mar 2007

Hi,
Is the USB hub unpowered? (ie: doesn't have its own power supply) USB ports only have so much power available, so if the products you attach exceed the available power supply, they won't work.

WallyD 13:15 25 Mar 2007

Sorry !
Yes its powered

robgf 13:32 25 Mar 2007

You could try connecting the hub to a different USB port on your computer, they don't all appear to be equal. The two front ones on my computer are very temperamental, while the back ones are fine.

Some devices are also a bit odd, my digital camera refuses to connect through the hub, but will connect to any other port.

Can't think of anything else to suggest. :(

WallyD 18:04 25 Mar 2007

Thank you
I had to go out thats why the delay
Will take all connections out and try in different sequence.
Thank you again

thms 19:11 25 Mar 2007

Scanners and printers are notoriously selective about usb connection. Most of them dislike being connected through hubs.

I have an all in one printer/scanner that will only work if connected directly to the computer.
Everything else can work through my powered hub
though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?