usb hub & flash drives 'driver not found'

Seth Haniel 08:53 28 Sep 2009

all other USB devices recognised and installed when plugged in ie Printer, Scanner, IR, Bluetooth.

but 7 in 1 card reader - and usb 4 port hub and Medion USB 2.0 can't find drivers and won't install - (no web connect on home pc - socan't use option to serch for driver)

any ideas?

Graphicool1 09:03 28 Sep 2009

Assuming they used to work, but now don't. Try unplugging them and replugging them into different slots.

Seth Haniel 09:07 28 Sep 2009

got six USB ports two on front four on back - replugged in all with same results - all use to work fine?

sharpamat 09:13 28 Sep 2009

You have the details of the devices and clearly have access to the internet so why not download the drivers put them on a Disc in seperate folders and when the drivers are requested select the location rather that the internet option and direct the wizard to the disc

Graphicool1 09:32 28 Sep 2009

I realise it's no consolation, but I don't have a lot of luck with Card Readers either. I've had a few USB 2.0 Card Reader's go belly up on me too. In their case it was the readers themselves that were faulty. One of them is a '54 in 1' I still have it, I'm loath to chuck it out as it still works but intermittently, it usually doesn't work just when I need it to most, but I have back ups.

In your case it seems unlikely that both would pack up at the same time, but not impossible.

Graphicool1 09:35 28 Sep 2009

You could try what sharpamat say's or what about a 'System Restore' back to when the were working.

Stuartli 09:42 28 Sep 2009

I have a couple of memory card reader/writers, plus a slimline powered USB hub, which I use on various friends and family systems as well as my own.

All I need to do is plug one of the devices into an already working system, Windows finds new hardware and I can start using it.

Have you tried downloading and installing the latest motherboard drivers for your system?

Seth Haniel 10:07 28 Sep 2009

the four port usb has no name or number on it - it - the medion 128mb usb 2.0 has 33500 pages on Yahoo search the majority not accessible through works firewall and others im not paying $15 for a driver for an old 128mb stick when I can get a 4gig or more for under £10 that works ??

Seth Haniel 10:08 28 Sep 2009

brand new motherboard in with its latest drivers

Stuartli 10:46 28 Sep 2009
  Stuartli 10:56 28 Sep 2009

In the XP section of the above link, it does mention that Power Management may turn off USB Root Hubs to conserve power if a device is disconnected.

Go to the XP section to the USB Device Stops Working or Won't Resume section to ensure that the box or boxes are not checked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017