USB header / plug for internal card reader?

John Ross 14:40 26 Aug 2009

I have just bought a secondhand Dell Optiplex 280 minitower as second computer and am moving over some components from my old PC.
The Dell has a Dell-own Motherboard. It doesn't seem to have a spare USB header except a ribbon cable going to the two USB sockets on the front of the tower below the usual Dell plastic flap. There is a white 4 pin empty socket on the inside of the tower on the small printed circuit that hold the front USB and audio out sockets next to the external USB sockets, and I am guessing this is a USB connection???? the pins are very fine and will not hold tight the Maplin single pin connects I have.
I would like to attach an internal card reader to this, which comes with a plug for a 9 pin USB heaedr on my old Fujitsu-siemens PC. I can remover the only 4 cable in this : usual red/white/black/green. I wonder where and how to attach to the above connection??
If this is generally a bad idea I wonder how to attach a standard USB plug to these wires and attach to either one of the external USB sockets or add a cheap USB PCI card (they seem to go for £5.00) with an internal USB socket??
Is this kind of approach what people do, or do we end up throwing out components that can be replaced cheaply, for the want of a compatible plug/socket?
Thanks!

woodchip 14:46 26 Aug 2009

If you connect a USB the wrong way round you will fry the USB on the board, at the very least

Technotiger 15:47 26 Aug 2009

A PCI USB card with four external and one internal would probably be best.

John Ross 11:57 02 Sep 2009

I ended up buying a 3.5" multicard reader with front USB port on ebay for almost nothing. The advantage was that it had leads with conventional USB plugs coming out the back. The plan originally was to buy a PCI card with internal USB ports, but feeding the leads out the back of the case and plugging in externally to onboard USB ports was not as messy as I thought, so I have done this.
So, I now have a multicard reader for less than the price of a few bits of wire from Maplins, and avoiding the risks of rewiring USB mentioned in earlier posting.
Just a bit uncomfoirtable about the throwaway approach to the problem, so will see if I can give away the card reader....
Also, shame theat the Dell motherboard has such limited modification potential..........

Technotiger 12:13 02 Sep 2009

Glad it is sorted - thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?