USB Hard drive - now you see it, now you don't!

PA28 19:24 07 Nov 2005

I've searched on this one and come up with a few ideas, none of which seem to work.

I've bought an external USB2 caddy (Best Connectivity is the brand) and have transferred a known good 60gb hard drive into it (my former drive D:). Drive D: on IDE1 has been replaced with a larger 160gB unit.

Problem is that Windows XP (fully updated with everything currently available) refuses to recognise the USB drive when it's connected. I have tried various ports, some of which are direct to the computer, one on a hub, and one on a PCI/USB2 card. None seem to work. I have also changed the cable. I have no problems with any other USB devices. At one point the device showed up under My Computer>Manage>Disk Management - but when I tried to copy data from the drive it failed in mid process (cannot access file ..... etc). Next time I went in, the drive had vanished again!

This is looking to me like a hardware fault, but has anyone else suffered this and - importantly - found an answer?

PA28 20:08 07 Nov 2005

Ok - just tried the thing on a laptop and it works fine. So must be my USB setup. Any guidance where to go first please, to save beating around the bushes?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:26 07 Nov 2005
  PA28 13:10 09 Nov 2005

OK sorted! I have a powered Belkin hub on the system which I had been operating unpowered as there didn't seem to be any difference. The external drive wasn't connected through thgis hub and everything else was OK. Anyway, plugged in the power supply to the hib and voila - all OK on every port. Just goes to show. Thanks for the link Fruit Bat /\0/\, I've put it in my favourites folder for next time around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone