USB hard drive Help

luvups 10:23 20 Jan 2004

I am a total beginner with computers.I have a USB hard drive 80gb to be attatched to a 40gb Laptop that is being used as a desktop only.Before i install this drive i need to know how to use it.How do i send files etc.from the C drive to the USb drive?Can i transfer existing music and pictures from one to the other if so how?I mainly need this extra HDD because I am doing a project that will use many pictures and music clips.I will also use the drive to make backups.I am sure that all these things can be done my problem is i do not know how.Please help an absolute beginner Thanks Luvups

AndyJ 11:01 20 Jan 2004

Depending on your operating system, if you install the software for it (as dictated by HD user manual) when you plug in the drive it will be auto detected by your PC. It will probably be given the next drive sequence letter e.g. E:

You then use it just as you would any other drive connected to the system i.e. floppy; CD

Saving to, and getting info from is exactly the same i.e. copy / save / save as etc; all you have to do is make sure that your pointing to the drive - as you do with a floppy, you make sure it's looking at the A: drive, in this case you would have to look for E: drive.

Hope it makes sense.

gold 47 11:17 20 Jan 2004

As a rule unless it is fairly new your laptop will only have a USB1 this will work but will be very slow and no good for video.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?