USB Gamepad Problem in XP

allan01 19:13 29 Jul 2003

I am running XP home edition on a system built arount an ABIT BE7 motherboard. I am also using a USB sidewinder pad. If I fire up my system and THEN plug in my pad, all is well. However, if I have left my pad plugged in, shut the system down, and then restart, no amount of tinkering will allow the pad to work. I cannot even add the pad in as a contoller, as it throws error messages at me. The only way it will then work is to unplug the pad, restart, and put it back in AFTER windows is up and running. It then works perfectly, without having to be added in etc. Anybody help with this, or am I stuck with unplugging etc every time I want to resart my machine?

Philip2 20:11 29 Jul 2003

Sounds like your USB or sidewinder pad are not loaded are these showing in device manager?? did a driver disk come with the hardware?? I have a USB2 card Windows XP was suppose to find the drivers it never did had to use the driver disk that came with the USB2 card works fine now.

3Toed 20:57 29 Jul 2003

allan01,I have known something similar when plugging in a usb saitek stick.You have to install the softwear first,then insert the usb peripheral when requested to do so.Not sure if this is a similar instance to yours?Saitek also have a download called Nuke,to uninstall the softwear.

3Toed 21:02 29 Jul 2003

update-should re-phrase the above-I had to install the softwear first(i know your pad is probably microsofts-but could this be a similar thing?)

allan01 22:11 29 Jul 2003

Gamepad did come with software, but it loads a whole raft of crud "profiles" and stuff onto the system that I don't use. I would prefer to leave it off if possible. You guys think I really NEED this software on? Sounds like you reckon this might be the cause of the problem, even though the pad is showing up and working normally under certain conditions.

3Toed 22:44 29 Jul 2003

If its any help,i also have a sidewinder gampad,not usb though,i dont feel the need to install the softwear,as xp home loads the drivers automatically(when i tell it,its there).Had no adverse affects.The profiles you speak about are often setups what feel comfortable to different people for certain games,unless you have those games,or feel you would benefit from them,there is no harm in not loading them-Just make sure xp loads the standard drivers for your pad.

allan01 07:50 30 Jul 2003

The pad is recognised and works perfectly and shows up in device manager as long as it is plugged in after Windows is running. You have reassured me that I do not need the Sidewinder software loaded up, as XP does use it's own drivers for the device. I had a similarish problem when I first built the machine. My USB mouse was not recognised every time I powered up. Unplug it and put it back in and it was fine. I overcame this problem by switching the USB connections round for my scanner and mouse and since then both items have been recognised on power up 100% of the time. Could this be related? Looking about on the net I am seeing people talking about IRQ issues affecting the USB. Any chance I could have a problem here?

3Toed 12:42 30 Jul 2003

Be careful about the softwear,if you read my comment,I mentioned not needing profiles,and my pad is not usb,so you may need the softwear for usb(not the profiles-if given the option)

Have you checked in the bios for usb enabled ports?,also be careful of not using up your power allocation for your usb hubs-although this is probably unlikely,I think its something like 500 ma available.

Also check in the device manager for any problems showing up,you may get a few pointers there.

allan01 14:41 30 Jul 2003

Will try putting the pad software on this evening and see if it helps. Cheers again, will let you know!

allan01 17:08 30 Jul 2003

Went to install software, but it flagged up that it was designed for Windows 98 and was not compatible, so I didn't bother.
Oddly, the problem has now dissapeared for some reason, and the pad is being recognised on startup even when left plugged in. I don't know why this has has happened, but hope it stays that way!! Thanks for all your help guys!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache