USB flash drives with Win XP

fudge 21:41 18 May 2006

I've upgraded to Win XP recently which has the advantage that USB drives don't need to be disconnected, as they were with previous versions. They can just be pulled out.

However, when I insert my flash drive it always opens up and displays the contents. This is really annoying, especially if you're in the middle of something else.

Is this a feature of XP and if so can it be prevented? Or is there a fault?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:49 18 May 2006

My computer - right click the drive - properties - autoplay tab - use the box (music files) to select mixed content - tick take no action

beynac 22:30 18 May 2006

"They can just be pulled out."

I think that you will find that they should be "disconnected" first.

phono 22:35 18 May 2006

As beynac rightly says, you should use the "Safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray to remove USB devices, in this way you will avoid possible data loss or corruption and maybe even crashing windows.

fudge 21:23 19 May 2006

Tried that thanks, but every time the drive is removed it reverts to the default settings. Can't seem to get it to do it permanently!

Phono/beynac: In the properties section of the drive, within hardware//properties/policies is an option to 'optimise for quick removal'. This disables write caching on the disc so you can remove it without having to click the disconnect icon first.

beynac 08:53 20 May 2006

"USB drives don't need to be disconnected,"

Your statement was a general one. Although your flash drive has the facility for "quick removal", this doesn't necessarily apply to other USB devices.

fudge 08:57 20 May 2006

Oh, I thought it applied to all USB devices on XP. I Only just getting used to the changes since I upgraded. Excuse my ignorance.

Thanks for the info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?