USB Flash Drive Security?

Legslip 22:42 02 Mar 2010

I keep my Usernames/Passwords for all of my internet sites i.e. Ebay, banking, Amazon etc on an Excel spreadsheet on a USB Flash Drive. It's the easiest way to log and update them. When I want a username/password, I plug the stick in and open the s/sheet. Are there any security risks with this?

MAJ 22:52 02 Mar 2010

What happens if you lose the drive?

FatboySlim71 22:54 02 Mar 2010

It sounds a good way of keeping/storing usernames & passwords, other than using a dedicated password storing program such as Password Safe (which is what I use and have done so for over 5 years, I find it a superb little program).

Your method sounds good and too be honest I cannot think of any security risks. The only thing I would suggest is that you regularly scan the USB flash drive for virus's and spyware etc, with your anti virus and anti spyware programs. Just to make sure that you have no nasties on the USB flash drive that might be a security risk.

Also; always have another backup of the USB flash drive's contents, just incase it gets corrupted and you lost all the usernames & passwords that were stored on it.

Legslip 22:59 02 Mar 2010

Lose the drive? I copy all files on the drive, which is named Personal Files, to another Flash Drive weekly which is named Personal Files Copy!
I don't trust leaving such a file on my H/drive.

Legslip 23:03 02 Mar 2010

Thanks Fatboyslim. For some reason I don't trust password storing prog software. I always think that having written the prog, they will therefore have access to your passwords. Call me old fashioned but...

FatboySlim71 23:06 02 Mar 2010

The password program I use stores the passwords in an encrypted format so that the information cannot be read.

The way you do it sounds a good and secure way, especially with storing the backup on another flash drive.

Legslip 23:11 02 Mar 2010

Thanks Fatboyslim. I suppose 'belts 'n braces' might be best by also password protecting the Excel file. I just worry if while i'm on the net and have the file open, it could be read?

FatboySlim71 08:19 03 Mar 2010

Nothing wrong with a belt & braces approach : )

'I just worry if while i'm on the net and have the file open, it could be read?'

Good question.

I would think that this would only be possible if you had some spyware/trojan etc either on your computer or your flash drive. Has long as you regularly scan your computer and flash drive for nasties, then this would not happen.

Legslip 22:14 03 Mar 2010

Thanks Fatboyslim. Yes I do regularly check, 'belts 'n braces' again! I'll carry on as I do then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017