USB Flash Drive Problem

Pererin 11:32 23 Oct 2006

Hi Gang, got a problem with my son's flash drive. Put it in his computer and it is recognised ok, but put it in mine and it is not recognised. Both machines are identical, XP Pro, same hardware and software on both. The flash drive is a Sandisk Cruser mini 256mb, only thing I have noticed is in device manager on my machine one of the root hubs in its properties has a greyed out area at the bottom in device usage, if that helps, and Sandisk advise that no driver is needed for this item. So as usual come to the rescue team !

X™ 11:34 23 Oct 2006

Try a different USB Port. Looks like it could be disabled? Either the flash drive or the root hub.

Pererin 12:47 23 Oct 2006

Thanks X, but I tried every port and changed with ones already in use,but still no luck.

jack 14:01 23 Oct 2006

Check the USB status in the BIOS on your machine- compare that with your sons identical machine.

Pererin 15:01 23 Oct 2006

Thanks for advice but how do i compare or check the status on the BIOS, need instructions or new brain. Please help very grateful guys thanks in advance.

spanglysteve 15:30 23 Oct 2006

You didnt by anychance buy it from Costco, the deals on them were fab!

Anyways, I bought the 1GB model and I find it randomly doesnt work on some machines but fine on others. I think it may be something to do with that e3 (or is it 3e?) software thats on it,(the skype stuff and that!)

Stuartli 16:15 23 Oct 2006

Check also that USB2 is Enabled in the Bios and that all available USB ports are listed i.e. 4, 6, 8 etc as appropriate.

jack 17:03 23 Oct 2006

'Thanks for advice but how do i compare or check the status on the BIOS, need instructions or new brain. Please help very grateful guys thanks in advance.'

Ar start up you usually get the opportunity to press DEL to enter the BIOS scroll down to find the BIOS setting and at this stage JUST LOOK and make notes
Then look at the machine that accepts to drive and ditto
If your machine says a some thing is OFF than make it ON
The instructions are usually one screen
If in doubt DO nowt
Just come back here

Pererin 17:22 23 Oct 2006

Thanks Gang, will give Jack and Stuartli's advice a go, and let you know the outcome. I did not buy it from Costco, can't remember where now, but thanks Spanglysteve, I will check them out in future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?