USB FLASH DRIVE LOCKED

The Scorpion 17:44 16 Aug 2007

When I click on USB drive icon in 'My Computer'the message pops saying 'please insert disk in the drive'. The USB port is working fine and so as the flash drive. The flash drive is not password protected. Also the red light on the flash drive flashes normally after insserting it into USB port.the flash drive is Integral brand 4gb. My OS is XP home.
Any idea guys how to unlock it? It was working well couple of days ago very well.
Many Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:08 16 Aug 2007

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:47 18 Aug 2007

--------------------------------------------------
Many thanks I tried your suggestion, unfortunately the problem remains unsolved. I thnk in my case XP initialises the usb stick but unable to read it for some reason; may be usb stick got correpted and there may not be any solution?

-------------------------------------------------
Please post your replies in the box at the bottom of this page then all can see and others can also offer advice.

-------------------------------------------------
first check thee is ot a lock switch on the side of the drive.

If you can afford to lose the data, then go into disk management if you can see the drive there right click and format the drive.

€dstowe 10:53 18 Aug 2007

Have you unplugged the drive without going through the Safely Remove Hardware process?

Although USB is supposed to be hot pluggable, in fact it isn't and it is very easy to wreck things such as drives by unplugging before it is ready to be unplugged. Sometimes the drive is wrecked, sometimes the USB port.

bretsky 15:05 18 Aug 2007

Does it have a little flick button on the side of the casing to lock or unlock the drive as my 256 MB integral does.

click here

bretsky ;0)

macbookboy 14:44 04 Sep 2007

like suggested in the previous post check that the drive is not write protected. if this does not work then it looks like the drive may have a problem with the FAT table, you could try and use recovery software to attempt to guess the corrupt data, try seveal programs. if this does not work then formatting is probably the only hope. do a full or low-level fromat to completely clear the FAT table and begin again. if formatting fails then you are stuck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?