USB Flash Drive

roi 17:10 01 Mar 2003

Bought a USB flash drive (for xfer of files, etc). However, having left it 'plugged in' whilst working in C-drive it (now called G-drive)seems to have self-created certain read-only folders/files - noticeably 'Recycled' and 'System Volume Information'. These two grow when their counterparts do in C-drive. However, the size of 'Recycled' is such that it fills up well before its counterpart, and I am asked if I want to permanently delete the next item rather than send it to a full 'Recycle Bin'. I think I'd like to delete all on the G-drive, and ensure that, in future, I don't leave it 'plugged in' but use it only as a transporter. However, I can't delete any of the folders 'cos they're "being used by another person or program".

Any ideas how i can get back to square one?

Tks.

Lead 18:07 01 Mar 2003

When you say 'USB Flash Drive' are you referring to one of those small USB 'memory pen' devices? If so, have you tried re-formatting it?

I use one also, they are great gadgets. I have one suggestion though - I always 'stop' the device before unplugging it. Even though it is USB and supposedly 'hot-swapable'. I'm on my second one, the first failing (full of data) after simply pulling it out.

roi 21:12 01 Mar 2003

Yes, just that - also sometimes called a'thumb drive'.
I'll try a 'low level format' (offered in the v limited accompanying 'utility' - tho' it also has a dire warning about only being used as a last resort).

Sorry Lead - please define 'stop'.

Tks.

zanwalk 21:30 01 Mar 2003

Before removing a USB Mass Storage Device you should right click on it's symbol in the Taskbar and left click the option to 'safely remove this device' or similar.

roi 22:03 01 Mar 2003

OK Rayburn, got it thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?