USB failure

K.E 05:20 21 Mar 2005

My USB port will not let my camera/mouse/printer etc work. I unintalled everything under usb in device manager and then rebooted it did not automatically install so i went to the microsoft site to download and install the Updated USB drivers (Q822603_XPE_SP2_X86_ENU.EXE)but got the error message
"WEUpdate cannot retrieve information needed for setup from database.
Setup cannot continue."

So I then went to the microsoft site to download and install QFE update and received the same message.

I have very basic technical knowledge and was advised to take this route, however I am ashamed to say i do not understand any of the above and have repeated it verbatim. I would really appreciate any advice!!

Kirstin

Diodorus Siculus 07:40 21 Mar 2005

What operating system?

Teh system file checker may work for win98 xp

start

run

sfc

selfbuild 08:57 21 Mar 2005

in XP, insert your XP cd, goto Start > Run and type sfc /scannow

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:58 21 Mar 2005

USB ports are fuse protected if mothing works in the port then you may have blown it.

Also check in BIOS if USB is enabled.

Have a look at the troubleshooting section USBMAN
click here

K.E 20:19 21 Mar 2005

Hi there,
thanks for your help...
When i insert the xp cd I get the following error message

windows cannot find sfc/scannow.

I have gone into BIOS but am unsure which option to chose to see if the USB is enabled, I have choice of "start up menu" which has date and time and boot device options or "Exit menu" which has exit (no save) and default settings options.

any help would be great!

K

Diodorus Siculus 20:23 21 Mar 2005

Needs a space between sfc and /scannow

thus:

sfc /scannow

PA28 21:04 21 Mar 2005

Can you try something else you know works (like a printer?) in the USB port that you are having problems with, to see if that is identified?

Technotiger 21:13 21 Mar 2005

Hi, to check usb in BIOS - In BIOS Main Menu make note of instructions to navigate the menu, in bottom of Menu window. Navigate to Integrated Peripherals then to OnChip Device Function, listed there you will see USB Host Controller, make sure it is Enabled.

then Press F10 and Esc on your keyboard.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?