USB external hdd problem, not initialized.

dangerus1 18:27 23 Feb 2015
Answered

I have a 300GB usb external hdd, when I plug it in it beeps but does not show in "Computer". I right click on Computer/Manage/Disc Management and it shows there as 298GB Disk 2 Not initialized. A box appears, saying you must initialize before Logical Disk Manager can access it. When I click on OK I get the message Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check) If I go to the box to initialize it everything is greyed out. There is nothing of any importance on the drive so if everything is lost it doesn't matter.

BRYNIT 20:02 23 Feb 2015

This youtube video will help you do a chkdsk from Command prompt CLICK HERE if it works you might be able to recover the files.

dangerus1 20:44 23 Feb 2015

Brynit, thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it as I am running Partition Window Free edition at the moment. This seems very slow and I may have to leave it a while (perhaps overnight). I will get back and give the results and if it doesn't work I will try your suggestion.

dangerus1 14:28 24 Feb 2015
Answer

Brynit, I cancelled Partition Wizard as it was taking so long (only 1% after 2 hours) was going to try your suggested link this am when I switched on but the HDD wasn't recognized at all, no trace whatsoever. I think I will give it up as a bad job. They are cheap enough on e**y, I've had them before but this is the first time this has happened. I will tick this as I don't think it is worth trying any more. Thanks for your interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?