USB External Hard Drive Question

MacWin 17:56 28 Jan 2006

Hello...

I recently bought an external Hard Drive enclosure hoping to resussitate an old IDE Hard Drive (Seagate 3491A - 400-odd MB) and retrieve some old files.

I have a Compaq Evo N400c Laptop running Windows 98. On this computer, the driver installed OK but it crashes when I connect the enclosure / Drive. On an XP machine at work all installs OK but the drive can not be seen at all in "My Computer".

Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 28 Jan 2006

On an XP machine at work all installs OK but the drive can not be seen at all in "My Computer".

have you set the jumper on the old drive in the enclosure to "master"?

can you see the drive in disk management? the drive may need to be formatted be fore it appears in My Computer

-----------------------------------------------

Compaq Evo N400c Laptop running Windows 98

98 or 98SE? there are USB problems with 98

MacWin 18:54 28 Jan 2006

Thanks for your comments.

The hard drive is formatted - it came out of a Win 95/98 HP PC.

It is set to Master.

Softstag 23:35 28 Jan 2006

Is this a USB enclosure? If so, you will need to install USB Mass Storage Drivers for Windows 98 click here before Win 98 will recognise it. Install the drivers first, then connect the drive. As you have already connected it, there may be a problem device in device manager when you reconnect it. Just remove this from Device Manager, unplug and replug the drive to the USB.

MacWin 12:55 29 Jan 2006

Thanks again.

Just to confirm: Windows 98SE.

All drivers installed as directed by instructions. The computer says that they are all OK. Everything looks OK. However...

On my computer (Yes - USB) when I plug in the drive I get a windwow up where it it looking for further drivers or something (don't know where it is looking) and it sits there for ever with the mouse pointer changed to show that the computer is busy. I can only get out of this by a forced re-start.

On my works (XP) computer, the drive connects OK (according to the pain bottom right on the computer) but I can not find it in "My Computer". Everything seems otherwise OK.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:19 29 Jan 2006

On my works (XP) computer, the drive connects OK (according to the pain bottom right on the computer) but I can not find it in "My Computer". Everything seems otherwise OK.

Can you see the drive in disk management?
Control panel- admin tools- computer management -storage -disk management

MacWin 10:55 30 Jan 2006

Thanks. Just tried it. I obviously don't have the permission to get into disk management. I shall have to ask an Administrator to do this for me and then I'll get back to you.

I can access my USB flash drive on my computer though, funnilly, and that didn't require extra "permission".

MacWin 08:10 15 Feb 2006

OK. I now have XP on my computer (wish I'd done this a while back...)

I can not see the USB drive at all as a drive although it comes up as a device.

When I look for it in disk management it is not listed either. I can find the device but the details of the disc are not there. It is as though it is not formatted but it certainly was the last time the hard disk was used in a computer (Windows 98 FAT32).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:23 15 Feb 2006

What device is it showing as?

In control panel -system- hardware -device manager

under disk drives doesit show someting like (ST340810a)USB device?

MacWin 09:30 17 Feb 2006

There are two devices listed:

IC25N020ATDA04-0
USB Device

Both say that they are working properly.

MacWin 11:39 03 Mar 2006

To correct the last entry:

The "IC25" appears to be the hard drive. Therefore, one device is listed:

USB Device.

Nothing else. It obviously sees the USB case but not the IDE drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017