USB External drive won't install

Ollyolly 13:07 07 Feb 2006

I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on my main PC and I'm trying to install an external drive box containing a 40Gb hard drive.
The drive unit powers up, the LED is on and I can hear the drive spinning.
The speach bubble appears near the time box saying 'Found new hardware', 'Disc drive'. Then nothing else seems to happen. Last night I waited 20 mins only to find everything locked up about 5 mins (possibly my screen saver interval)after I had connected it.
I tried a couple of times and only once did the 'New Hardware Wizard' appear. I inserted the CD just in case Windows needed it, The CD drive unit wizzed around for a while then nothing happened.
I can get as far as some form of description appearing in Device Manager under storage, but the drive dosen't appear when I open up an Explorer window.
I've checked the USB hub entries in Device Manager and they all say device working properly.
Ditto for USB host.
I've disconnected all my other USB devices except the mouse, but it makes no difference.
I've also tried the same drive unit on a laptop running WinXP Home SP2 and a small hard drive on my main PC, results are generally the same.
Can anyone hep please?

Mytob 13:19 07 Feb 2006

some of these drives need to have the drivers installed first iv noticed and then require a reboot with the caddy plugged in. is there any installer for the drivers?

Ollyolly 14:42 07 Feb 2006

A driver disc came with the caddy but it is not obvious which file be the driver.
I suppose trial and error might be a way forward.
Do you happen to know what file extension I might be looking for?

woodchip 14:48 07 Feb 2006

On XP you do not need drivers the only requirement is that the drive is set to master with the jumper on the drive. Now Go to "My Computer" right click on it choose Manage\Disc Management you will see the new disc in the you need to set it up from that box

Ollyolly 14:59 07 Feb 2006

Woodchip,
I am not suprised you say XP dosen't need a driver, it's not very often it does.
I'm quite sure the drive is set to slave so I'll have a look this evening, thanks for the advice.
Hopefully if I go to Disc Management as you suggest it will all make sense then. I'll let you know.

Mytob 19:50 07 Feb 2006

Just beg that windoz Plug and Pray works for you :)

Ollyolly 07:53 09 Feb 2006

Woodchip & Mytob,
Thanks for your replies.
Last night I managed to find the time to have another look at the drive. I switched the drive unit to master and XP recognised it in seconds even down to the drive model number. A few seconds later it was installed and ready for use.
I had a bit of spare time after that so had a play around with it and all seems to be perfect.
I'm very happy.
Thank you again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone