USB Drivers

JohnC123 12:08 20 Jul 2010

Can someone please tell me where I can download free drivers for my Packard-Bell EasynoteA laptop.
None of the USB ports recognises my flash drive stick nor any other USB device. The light comes on on the flash drive but that's all - it is not detected by the computer. I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP3. I have tried all the so called "Free" driver update sites - Driver detective, Driver Genius, Driver Help, etc, etc;- yes - the scan is free but then they all want you to register for £25+++ in order to download the updates. I shall be grateful for any help or information,
Thanks - John.

bluesbrother 12:24 20 Jul 2010

Driver Max is pretty good click here
I think the free version limits the number of drives you can download in a day.
Or you could download the drivers from click here

Pineman100 16:17 20 Jul 2010

In the past I've downloaded drivers for Packard Bell products from PB's own website.

click here

JohnC123 10:12 21 Jul 2010

Thank you for your replies.
Driver Max wants me to register to update (£££) drivers - it does offer 3 updates free of charge - Adobe Reader, Ashampoo optimiser and one other of the same ilk. No drivers available f o c.
I'll try the PB site again.

T0SH 14:19 21 Jul 2010

Have you expanded the USB tree in device manager to see if any problems are listed there ?

If there is no USB header or it shows yellow exclamation marks you need to download and install the Chipset drivers from the Packard bell web site

also have you browsed your hard drive for a folder containing the installed drivers, possibly called drivers ? (from what I have looked at on their web site mostly but not all the easynote models seem to have Intel chipsets which should mean the USB drivers will be included in the windows operating system)

if you find unknown devices listed then right click and choose uninstall on each of them in turn refuse the offered reboot until all are cleared then unplug all USB devices and reboot once back up to a desktop check again in device manager if it shows as OK then try plugging in a flash drive to test it

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is to check in services that the Plug and Play service is running and is set to Automatic

Device drivers are written often at some considerable cost and provided free as a service by the device manufacturers, companies asking for payment to get drivers is in my opinion very questionable moraly if not legaly so please do not encourage them

Cheers HC

JohnC123 16:28 21 Jul 2010

Thanks for the help Tosh, I'll have a go at your advice and see what happens. I already uninstalled the USB drivers in Device Manager and allowed Windows to re-install them with no visible difference - the flash drive still won't show up ! I know it works OK as i tried it on my desktop puter.

woodchip 18:02 21 Jul 2010

Have you tried uninstalling all the USB in Device Manager? then restart PC windows will reload all USB

JohnC123 10:46 22 Jul 2010

Thanks to all who responded - I tried all the suggestions with no change - USB's still don't work. It looks as though a trip to the computer shop is required.

onthelimit 11:01 22 Jul 2010

I'm sure you can use the free version of drivermax to download drivers as bluesbrother suggested - I didn't have to pay, just needed some patience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?