USB drivers

User-CB94CED6-F3AA-42E7-8A286564F5DCBC14 12:18 24 Dec 2005

I have been attempting to install new drivers for the USB as I've been having problems with hangs and blue screens. I have a hub with scanner, prnter, etc. on it and they often hang or report 'not responding'.

I actually downloaded recommended update and ran the exe. OK but what seems to have happened (because I did not uninstall the existing driver(s)) is that I appear to have two of the same in the driver list! If I attempt to uninstall some of them they get reinstalled on reboot.

Anyone know what's going on here and a way round it? MAny thanks

PaulB2005 12:33 24 Dec 2005

What is the spec of your PC and what did you download?

XP Pro Laptop (Mitac 8375). I downloaded the drivers from Mitac. Although their instr. did not say uninstall old drivers first, Evesham, told me to do so (but I did'nt).

5.1.2600.0 driver for all but:
5.1.2600.2180 USB root hub & root hub via ver5

However the READme from Mitac includes: 'Current limitations of the driver are: Composite devices and Hi-Speed Isochronous Transfers are currently not supported.' Whatever this means - I wonder if this is a clue to the behaviour I'm getting:

a. if I pull out a USB plug live a blue screen appears. I have seen a MS fix for a similar fault on Firewire but not for USB2.

b. The scanner & printer hang so I think the problem is getting signals back because sometimes they work. Pen drive OK. external DVD drive does sometimes play up. However I do not think this depth of analysis will help it's probably just drivers.

I have a feeling I'm stuck with juggling things.

Any further ideas welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?