usb driver

nobbie 12:00 07 May 2007

hi all..i.m trying to connect my sat receiver to my laptop to patch it, but cannot connect to it... in device manager it says that there is no drivers installed for USB serial controller...have tried searching for drivers but cannot find any.. any help on where i can obtain these drivers please..
running WIN XP home ..thanks

Taff™ 12:09 07 May 2007

What make and model computer is it? Run Belarc click here toget info on the motherboard and post back.

MAJ 12:10 07 May 2007

How are you trying to connect the sat receiver to your laptop? You mention USB serial controller. Do you mean you are using a USB to Serial, adapter cable?

jack 12:11 07 May 2007

If your sat receiver has the USB connexion then XP
should see it, and- say new hardware connected.
Did your sat receiver have a Cd or other material with it.
Go to Sat makers web site and see if drivers or other advice is available.

nobbie 12:13 07 May 2007

my computer is a dell inspiron 1300

nobbie 12:15 07 May 2007

trying to connect my sat receiver via a usb to rs232 lead

nobbie 12:18 07 May 2007

as i've been told, no drivers are required for the sat reciever..if i just connect the cable without the receiver, then my laptop just cant find a driver for the USB serial controller either,,,

€dstowe 12:44 07 May 2007

If I understand correctly, the sat receiver is USB and you are trying to connect to the computer's RS232 (serial) port.

If that is correct, why not just connect the USB device directly to a USB port on the computer or through a hub if you're short of USB ports?

If you must use a USB -> RS232 converter then a driver is needed. This should have been provided with the converter or should be obtainable from the manufacturers website.

nobbie 01:51 08 May 2007

my sat receiver has a rs232 plug, but my laptop only has usb's (no rs232 port) there was no driver with the usb to rs232 converter.. plus as i've already slung the packaging away, then i,m a bit stuck.. at finding the manufacturers website..

€dstowe 06:40 08 May 2007

OK, what I would do is chuck the converter you have and buy a new one.

Try:
click here

or (better)
click here

It's a good company to deal with and very quick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017