USB drive not recognised

funf 12:20 20 Oct 2008

Ihave a WDPassport 120gb external hard drive, but it is not recognised by my computer.My motherboard is Abit VA-20 and the spec says it has 8 USB 2.0.
The drive is recognised by other computers and laptops.
Is there any simple remedy.

Technotiger 12:29 20 Oct 2008

Try it in a different USB Slot. If you are trying to use it via a USB hub, use a USB slot on the computer instead.

baldydave 13:11 20 Oct 2008

Do other usb items work when plugged in if not usb support may be turned off in the bios settings.

funf 13:13 20 Oct 2008

Tried it in the mobo usb slots to no avail.All the slots recognise memory sticks, but not the Passport had drive.

Technotiger 14:22 20 Oct 2008

Hmmm, recognised by other computers and laptops - all the slots recognise memory sticks, but not the hard drive ..... ??

So we seem to be at a bit of a dead-end - only thing I can think of, though it does not make sense, is check/try different Jumper settings, and check compatible Format FAT/NTFS.

woodchip 14:38 20 Oct 2008

You could try uninstalling all USB in Device Manager then restart computer. You will need to let Comp find all USB ports. I also suggest you remove any USB items plugged in before the above. Then after try the Drivde

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:11 20 Oct 2008

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here
or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

scotty 17:27 20 Oct 2008

Some USB ports do not provide enough power to operate a disc drive. Some USB disc drives have a connector to take a separate power supply or have a cable which can connect to two USB ports to get the necessary power.

funf 11:27 21 Oct 2008

Uninstalled all usb drives in device manager and it now works. Thanks everybody.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?