usb dongle

ericstoe 10:43 04 Feb 2007

I'm looking to set up a second pc on bb and want to go wireless. I have the wireless router connected to my main pc via ethernet but don't want the hassle of wires going all around the house. My question is what do I need to get the second pc to receive the wireless signal? On e-bay there are a lot of dongles going for £10 that plug into the usb, is this what I want? are they any good range wise?
Thanks

howard64 15:01 04 Feb 2007

they are not much more from dabs or novatech or one of these and would at least be new and complete with setup cd. Be aware that the distance between the router and the wireless pc is quite critical and the number of walls etc in between make a difference. When my 2 pcs were about 5m apart with just 2 walls between them the signal was great. Once the second pc was moved to its normal position about 15m away and 5 walls between there was no signal at all. I ended up running a cat5e cable between them. The wireless is only used when daughter with laptop is here and a few feet from the router.

Strawballs 16:10 04 Feb 2007

I can use my laptop wireless anywhere in the house of garden and even in the back of the house of a friend over the road and my router is at the back of the house.

click here

ericstoe 21:01 04 Feb 2007

Thanks for the comments. Any recommendations for me then??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone