USB devices not working after SSD upgrade

jonmac 22:37 14 Apr 2015

I replaced my 128Gb SSD with a 256Gb one after transferring all the files, Windows etc from one to the other using the supplied Samsung software. Now only my PCs internal disks (the SSD plus 2 HDs) are recognised and not my external Samsung HD nor any pen drives. Device manager has exclamation marks against them but Windows reports the best drivers are installed.

So where do I go from here? I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium

rdave13 04:25 15 Apr 2015

I would start the process again but use something like Macrium reflect to clone. Reinsert the original SSD and disconnect the other two drives. Clone to the new SSD. Swap the drives over and connect the other two HDSs.

jonmac 11:21 15 Apr 2015

Thanks rdave I'll give that a try.

Frost_WD 14:26 15 Apr 2015

Hi @jonmac,

You could do as @rdave13 suggested, however, I would recommended a fresh install of your OS if possible. Tat way you would also avoid transferring any errors, unneeded data and malware(if there is any), furthermore, if your system has been in use for awhile a fresh install would also make it more snappier and responsive, even when using a SSD. Generally, a fresh instal is recommended as the most problem-free way to go about it :).

P.S. Also, testing your devices on other systems wouldn't hurt :)

Hope it helps, Frost_WD

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 15 Apr 2015

Refresh USB Ports Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry click here device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB, reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware. Your equipment should now be recognised.

or In

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 15 Apr 2015

Refresh USB Ports Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry click here device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB, reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware. Your equipment should now be recognised.

or

In

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:47 15 Apr 2015

The formatting on this site is hopeless!!!!

Refresh USB Ports Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry

or

In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB, reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware. Your equipment should now be recognised.

jonmac 19:37 15 Apr 2015

Fruit Bat thanks for the reply. Tried that and uninstalled 5 USB devices then rebooted. All 5 devices failed to install!

Frost_WD I tried a clean install first but that just produced a bunch of items needing drivers for which none were available either on the internet, computer or Win7 disk! Sorry, I didn't note them at the time and don't recall their names now. That's why I went to plan B in spite of the knowledge that it would not be as good.

Computers? Who would have them?

rdave13 20:44 15 Apr 2015

Cloning has come a long way I think especially with free versions software. I agree you also clone any crud you have but cleaning the drive as much as you can before cloning helps. I cloned a small 40 GB ordinary sata HDD to a 60 GB SSD on an elderly laptop. Swapped the drives over and checked alignment via AS SSD Benchmark. Alignment was out so downloaded MiniTool partition wizard ( click here ). Simply clicking on the C drive ( now an SSD ) and clicking on align and 'apply' it reboots outside of Windows and corrects the alignment. Now showing 'good' with AS SSD benchmark.

robin_x 20:55 15 Apr 2015

And I've just messed my main laptop drive by aligning with Partition Wizard.

Although it coincided with me updating W10TP to 10056 and perhaps a rogue Windows update (some reports on Web with similar error in last days).

Anyway Windows has locked the drive and Macrium Images restore but don't boot.

(I did get a month old Image to work with fixmbr/fixboot/rebuildbcd/bootsect a couple of hours ago. Then decided maybe later Images were OK after all and promptly screwed it up again)

Just saying.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:24 15 Apr 2015

make and model of your machine?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?