USB Devices not recognised

Antoinette 15:02 01 Feb 2008

I have been experiencing this problem for some time but somehow delayed posting a message here thinking that soon or later I was going to bump into a solution. Unfortunately the problem is still there…. Help, please!

My Toshiba labtop does not recognise plug n’ play devices such as i-pods, USB keys, mobile phone, memory cards through a card reader… I recently bought a new printer and in the late stage of the installation process (via CD provided), once again the laptop fails to ‘see’ the printer although well connected via USB. I have restarted the installation 4 times and it produces the same results.

There are 3 USB port on my labtop but using any one of the 3 produces the same results.

In the Device Manager, I can see that the devices are not recognised because of the yellow question mark, and exclamation mark showing that something is not working properly. Using the installation CD to supposedly re-install the drivers has not effect. In fact, when I trigger the ‘Re-install Driver’ process from the Device Manager window, pointing at the installation CD, Windows XP keeps looking for a while and eventually says it cannot find the drivers.

To make it even more confusing, I can connect my digital camera (Fuji) and transfer photos into the labtop with no problems at all using the USB cable. However trying to transfer music from the laptop on my phone (Sony Erikson W810i) is a no go... unless I use a bluetooth dongle plugged in the USB port! That was I can see the phone and transfer data both ways.

I am really confused and can’t work out what to do next. Is there a doctor in the room?

Thanks

Antoine

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:35 01 Feb 2008

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here
or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

USB Permissions
Start - Run and type
regedit
Press OK.
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB.
Right click on the folder and pick permissions. Set to ALLOW.
Do the same for:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR

Antoinette 11:12 02 Feb 2008

Thanks. I downloaded drive clean up and ran it. It removed bits & pieces.
I then run regedit and followed your instructions setting to allow. In the allow colum, there is a 'read' and 'full control' box, I ticked the full control box for each.
In addition I navigated to HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIGSYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB and set allow 'full control' there too.

It made no difference so I wet into device manager. The only thing I could spot taht was USB realted was the USB Controllers so I uninstalled everything under the USB Controlers heading. Now nothing works anymore. No USB connection at all.

Clearly I shouldn't have uninstalled the USB controllers...

What do you reckon I should do now?

LANDCRUISER 13:05 02 Feb 2008

i am watching your thead as i have same problem,tryed all sort of things & nothing seems to work

Poitier 14:02 02 Feb 2008

Why not try using System Restore? Select a date when you are sure it was last working correctly.

lotvic 14:14 02 Feb 2008

info and few more things to check click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:27 02 Feb 2008

I uninstalled everything under the USB Controlers heading. Now nothing works anymore. No USB connection at all.

Have you sitched off the PC and back on again?
Windows should find new hardware and reinstall the USB controllers.

If it doesn't then enter the BIOS and check that the "Plug and Play" option is enabled.

Newuser2 19:15 02 Feb 2008

I had something similar running vista on my lappy.
I downloaded NET Framework 3.5 update, which fixed the pob.
On checking my updates on MS this update is not showing though ????

woodchip 19:26 02 Feb 2008

Is the Laptop still under warranty?

Antoinette 17:08 04 Feb 2008

Thanks all

Fruit Bat, yes switched on & off laptop a few times.

At each start up, Wizard Window comes up asking for installation CD for USB controllers, so Windows does not find any drivers by itself. When clicking cancel, same window comes back. Thi shappend 4 times in total until windows says 'there was a problem encountered trying to install you new hardware. Again, now that I have uninstall these USB controllers (there were 4) from Device Manager, all USB connectivity is gone. At least before some stuff was working...

HOW DO I REINSTALL THE USB CONTOLLERS ???

Lotvic thanks, I am going to go through this and see if I find anything useful. Unfortunately in the 'Remove and reinstall all USB controllers' section, they simply say '6. Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB COntrollers' not explaining HOW ...

System restore not an option. The overall problem has been on going for over a year.

Laptop not under warranty anymore (Toshiba Satelite, bought it new 3 years ago)

brundle 17:11 04 Feb 2008

Laptop model number would be handy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?