USB Devices (Camera & Card Reader)

El Motto 18:42 10 Oct 2003

I've recently purchased an Olympus digital camera and a USB card reader for the Smart card from the camera. I loaded the software from each device onto my PC which runs under Windows Me. However, Windows Me seems to have a conflict with these devices because as soon as I plug either device into the back of the PC using the USB cables, the PC returns the message "updating hardware database - 0%" , and stalls at 0%.

The Device Manager from the Control Panel shows that a "Mass Storage Device" is attached to one of the USB ports but is marked with an yellow exclamation mark (conflict ?).

In Properties I selected Update Driver for that USB and pointed to the installed software for the devices but the PC returned the same message " updating - 0%" etc, and stalled. Both devices are suppose to be Me compatible.

Is there a setting in Me that needs to change ? Any ideas as to why Me cannot recognise these devices ? Thanks.

hugh-265156 19:09 10 Oct 2003

sounds like the driver has not been installed correctly or is not compatable.this would give the yellow question mark.

have you checked the manufactures site for the latest drivers?click here

El Motto 19:27 10 Oct 2003

Yes, the Olympus camera was not suppose to need a driver with Windows Me, but I tried their 98 driver anyway from the Olympus site but no success. Seems odd to me that the Card Reader (different manufacturer) has exactly the same problems !

rev.bem 22:13 10 Oct 2003

Have a look at this

click here

graham√ 22:22 10 Oct 2003

Uninstall the camera drivers, you don't need them if you are going to use the reader. They may be conflicting.

Don't plug in the card reader with the PC on, you'll frighten it to death.

El Motto 20:15 12 Oct 2003

Thankyou for that. The Microsoft Bulletin provided by rev.bem was very helpful. The problem appears to have been caused by Norton System Utilities on my PC which had placed a volume 'lock' on the INF directory in Windows. After deleting many (thousands)of empty *.inf files and disabling Norton System I find the PC has no USB conflict and can recognise the camera. Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?