USB device not recognized Again for printer cable

ttmiller01 03:35 12 Nov 2008

A few months ago I had this same problem with my Konica Minolta printer's usb cable. Suddenly after years of functioning properly, i started to get this message when i connected my computer to the printer "USB device not recognized." i uninstalled the printer several times, nothing worked until i replaced the usb cable and now its happening again. I dont think its the cable, its a fairly new cable. All other usb devices work in all the ports. What could be causing this problem Please help.
thanks in advance,
tanya

€dstowe 06:48 12 Nov 2008

All sorts of dire things can happen if you unplug a USB device while it is doing something. It is usually drives that are worst affected but I have known a printer never to work again after its plug was accidentally knocked out whilst it was mid-print.

There were loads of fanfares when USB was introduced about it hot-plugging capability. This may be so but it was not mentioned that it didn't include hot-unplugging.

ttmiller01 16:22 12 Nov 2008

thanks for your response. I think the problem happens when I disconnect my computer, while the printer is in sleep/power save mode and then try to reconnect.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:26 12 Nov 2008

Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here

then reboot and let XP find and reinstall the necesary driver.

ttmiller01 04:00 13 Nov 2008

thanks, but i did that as well...and to no avail. I plugged in my original usb cable (the one i first replaced) and the connection worked for about 1 minute, long enough to print a test page. Then it went back to being unrecognized. I also tried two new cables including (a parallel port/usb) and neither worked. I hope i dont have to get a new printer.

Simsy 07:33 13 Nov 2008

a while ago, and it turned out to be a USB port problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling the driver did work for me... Then the problem recurred.

The port was on a pci USB card. It turned out that this had gone faulty, and replacing this cured it. If the port concerned in your case is on a pci card perhaps you have a similar problem. (They are only a few pounds)

Is the problem with all ports, i.e direct motherboard ports, via a card and/or via a hub?

Regards,

Simsy

ttmiller01 14:38 17 Nov 2008

simsy, thanks for your reply. I'm a layperson when it comes to knowledge of computer hardware. I have no idea what the answer to your question is. What's a pci usb? what are motherboard ports?

I hooked up a inkjet printer with the same usb cable and it worked. So at least now i know its definitely a problem with the printer. The konica minolta tech person over the phone said it might be an error with the printer's communication system. Is this something a non-technical person can fix?

thanks,
tanya

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone