USB Device Malfunctioned

PTB007 14:39 05 Feb 2006

Dear All,
Hopefully you can help me with this...
Basically I installed a USB TV Card (freecom) on my laptop, it works fine the only problem I had was lack of storage space to record.
To overcome this I decided to install the card on my desktop, on installing the software/drivers I encountered an error, cannot remember the exact error but since then on my desktop I am unable to use my flash drive, I get a message that the device has malfunctioned.
The USB drive still works fine as I can use it on my laptop with and without an extension lead, as I was able to do previously on my desktop.
On the desktop the drive appears to be recognized, just unusable.
Both pc's are running windows XP, any advice much appreciated.

^wave^ 15:08 05 Feb 2006

you do s system restore and see if that gets you back to to a stable point

skidzy 15:15 05 Feb 2006

Hi PTB....There seems to be quite a lot of usb problems lately on here,there is a method that has helped several people to remedy this problem,not conventional but works in some cases.There are a few threads pointing this out.Ok....turn the power off at the wall socket,hold your start button in for 20-30 seconds without the power on...after 20-30 seconds reboot the system and try your usb again...Like i say,its works for some and not others...Just make sure you any opened programs closed down first before switching off at the wall socket.

PTB007 17:42 05 Feb 2006

^wave^, thanks for the response and suggestion, system restore was the first thing I tried, not successful on this occasion.
Skidzy, whacky suggestion, or so I thought initialy, but amazingly it worked. Many thanks for your help as I've been pulling my hair out for the last few weeks on this, trawling the net etc.
Out of curiosty has anyone come up with a reason why this works?

skidzy 18:02 05 Feb 2006

Hi PTB...This sort of thread is a little weird with different people contridicting the method..but i tried it on the built in card reader...and guess what...it worked.Apparently it discharges the capicitators,what ever they are,Im not a techno like some of the great guys on here,but i read and learn and help where i can.Im glad this helped you and another plus for the guy who orignally thought of this idea.

Ray5776 19:28 30 Mar 2006

"the guy who originally thought of this idea"

Michael Faraday 1791 to 1867

skidzy 21:29 30 Mar 2006

Ray......Did we even have a power supply those days ... 1791 to 1867 and pc's.I think not Lol :-O

Ray5776 22:11 30 Mar 2006

I was refering to the capacitors.

skidzy 22:37 30 Mar 2006

Sorry Ray..think you may have misunderstood me,just a little joke.My humour needs some understanding at times.

Interesting result in finding the creator of the solution thankyou.

I wasn't trying to mimmick you in any way,if i have offended you...please accept my apologies.

Thanks Skidzy

Ray5776 22:49 30 Mar 2006

Not offended at all Skidzy, I have a sense of humour,
if you type Faraday or capacitors into Google you will see what I meant.
ray:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?