USB device causes system reboot

exprog 19:03 11 Aug 2007

Hi there..

My sons computer running XP SP2, reboots whenever certain USB devices are plugged in. These devices include Pen Drives(USB 2.0), Mobile phone and MP3 players.
The computer has USB 1.1 on the motherboard, so we have inserted a USB 2.0 card to see if this solves the problem. However, it does not.
Some devices, ie scanner, modem, printer and PDA give no problems.

My thoughts are a faulty Windows driver, but why do some devices work?.

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

howard64 19:13 11 Aug 2007

this is a known problem not normally crashing a pc though. I have a pc that will not start if any usb devices are plugged in at boot. This problem is solved in my case by the fitting and correct setup of a pci usb2 card. Are you sure you have it correctly set up? If you have a usb2 device plug it into your pci card and see if you get the message this device could work faster in a usb2 port. If so the system has not been correctly set for the card.

mfletch 19:16 11 Aug 2007

Hi, It is a common problem when you have mass storage devices plugged in eg/ Pen drive/ mps players etc?

Do you click on the remove safely icon in the system tray to stop the devices?

mfletch

exprog 19:20 11 Aug 2007

Have tried as you suggest, but no messgae and the device works OK.
The system reboot occured before the USB 2.0 card was installed. A Pen drive plugged into any USB port (1.1 or 2.0) causes a system reboot.

exprog 19:22 11 Aug 2007

Does not get as far as icon in system tray, as the machine reboots as soon as the device is plugged in

howard64 19:38 11 Aug 2007

with regard to the pci card uninstall it and try it in another pci slot.

howard64 19:39 11 Aug 2007

you could also consider flashing the bios always assuming that you can find the correct one.

Pamy 19:48 11 Aug 2007

exprog, what happens if the USB device is already plugged in when you boot up?

exprog 20:05 11 Aug 2007

Can't try now as not near the machine. Will get him to try as soon as possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone