USB DANGER

Covergirl 12:33 18 Feb 2008

Not sure where to post this one, but I nearly had a house fire last night. Why ?

I've had 3 USB MSD cables plugged into a powered Belkin credit card type 4 port USB hub for about 3 years now, and last night, the Sony Ericsson 300i and Samsung YHJ70 decided to mate at the MSD end, with the consequence that smoke started to rise and the plastic/rubber started to get really hot and melt.

I've now got a useless 300i connecting cable and a slightly charred Samsung connector.

Never seen it mentioned anywhere else so thought I'd put it down here.

Stuartli 12:35 18 Feb 2008

How did they decide "to mate"?

Covergirl 21:15 18 Feb 2008

How did they decide to mate ? Well, they were just lying there in the general mess on my desk, probably had a drink or two between them, a quick chat and I suppose they got bored and, well, you know how one thing leads to another . . . .

C'mon, I'm being serious above. Exposed data prongs on the 300i and exposed metallic bits on the YHJ70 . . .

setecio 21:41 18 Feb 2008

Either
a) Stick a condom on one of them
or
b) Give us enough information to understand what actually happened

bluto1 21:49 18 Feb 2008

Glad you saw it before anything too bad occurred.
I'd suggest an annual(at least) spring clean when you should remove all connected cables and examine them. But I'm probably preaching to the converted so I'll just restate that I'm pleased it wasn't more serious.

mammak 21:59 18 Feb 2008

I am glad that things didn't turn out worse.

But let your experience be a warning to us all and heed blutoIs advice,

check all connectors on our computers on a regular basis or unlike Covergirl we might not be here to tell the story.

setecio 22:02 18 Feb 2008

Still not sure what the problem is ....

.. what do we look for ?

.. what actually happened , is it a faulty product ? 5V would hardly cause a fire, so I'm guessing the risk is with powered hubs, right ?

octal 22:26 18 Feb 2008

It's not the voltage that is the problem, it's the current. If the current exceeds the current rating of the cable, then the cable will just burn itself out which is what happened here.

Stuartli 23:19 18 Feb 2008

>>which is what happened here.>>

After three years?

octal 23:29 18 Feb 2008

"decided to mate"

Why not after three years? It could have been three seconds or thirty years it doesn't matter, the point is they mated somehow and shorted, hence the smoke and burnt out cable and connectors, or are you thinking of something else that I've missed?

ton 00:41 19 Feb 2008

" what do we look for ?

.. what actually happened , is it a faulty product ? 5V would hardly cause a fire, so I'm guessing the risk is with powered hubs, right ?"

Could be a component failed in the hub or a cable developed a fault.

What do we look for ? - smoke and flames !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?