USB controller driver for Win 2K Pro

poogles_uk 08:32 07 Apr 2004

On a HP machine im currently working on it is after a usb controller driver, i cannot find one on the MS site or on the CD, or on the computer itself, any help to locating one would be appreciated!!

temp003 08:38 07 Apr 2004

If it's a USB2 controller, the more recent Service Packs (3 or 4) should include it.

temp003 08:44 07 Apr 2004

click here for instructions on obtaining the standalone driver.

poogles_uk 08:46 07 Apr 2004

It dont say USB2 just USB ( Universal Serial Bus (USB) controller), its on SP3, but i can't upgrade it cos it aint my machine, if it should be on ill have to ask the Sys admin when she come in,

Ive searched on the HD and on the win 2k cd.

poogles_uk 08:50 07 Apr 2004

It says
Click Find driver updates for hardware devices.
Click Other hardware.
In the Manufacturer name box, click Microsoft Corporation.
In the Operating System box, click Windows 2000 Professional RTM.
Click Search.
Download the driver that is named "NEC usb software update released on June 01 2001."

i cant find 'find driver updates for h/w devices' there is the hardware link at the top of the page
Could you point it out?

temp003 08:57 07 Apr 2004

Actually W2k SP3 already includes the Microsoft USB2 driver. Whether there's a later version of the driver in SP4 I don't know.

The link I gave you is for using Windows Update Catalogue. Connect to Windows Updates, on the left, click Personalize Windows Update, tick the box on the right to include Windows Update Catalogue, click Save. Then you'll get the Windows Update Catalogue option on the left. Click that, and you'll understand what the link is talking about.

Whether it's USB1 or USB2, w2k sp3 should have the usb controller driver. What error message or problem in Device Manager are you encountering?

poogles_uk 08:59 07 Apr 2004

Its not an error message, it says the drivers aint instaleed and need reinstalling, but i cant find the driver to reisntall

temp003 09:02 07 Apr 2004

In Device Manager, there should be an item called Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Expand that item, and see the description of the device which has a yellow exclamation mark against it.

temp003 09:11 07 Apr 2004

If it is a usb universal host controller which has a yellow exclamation mark, try right clicking the item in Device Manager, select uninstall, restart, and see if w2k will install it again.

poogles_uk 09:26 07 Apr 2004

It is in other devices is the problem item

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?