USB-Checking Power !!

spuds 21:10 11 Apr 2003

I have another posting running click here regarding a PNY Flashreader. I have been in touch with PNY over the past few days, and they have now suggested that I have a "power-alimentation" problem with my USB connections.Question:How do I check and correct this suggested problem.

spuds 11:15 12 Apr 2003

Further to the above question: If I extend my USB connections by adding another external hub, would it be a better bet to purchase a hub with it's own power supply, or still really on the power from the computer original USB sockets.What differences are gained?.

spuds 14:15 13 Apr 2003

???

Big Elf 14:27 13 Apr 2003

I'm not very knowledgeable about this but from my own personal experience it wasn't possible to connect another USB hub to an existing hub. I got a message along the lines of 'not enough power'. Even when I tried a powered hub it still wouldn't work.

A solution to increase your USB connections would be to get a PCI card if you have a spare slot.

-pops- 15:01 13 Apr 2003

I think that installing a PCI USB card will help a lot. Too much reliance is placed on hubs which I have found to be far from useful, especially unpowered ones.

N.B. A PCI card is most likely cheaper as well!!

Brian

spuds 00:34 19 Apr 2003

Thanks Big Elf and pops for input. Purchased a Medion 4 port [self powered] USB HUB for £9.99 from Aldi promotion, which as now solved my problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?