USB channel dud?

jack 12:05 08 Mar 2006

It is strange how these things happen- after pondering what to do about USB connectors on a case, another PC, has turned up with what appears to be dud USB MoBo sockets.
In trying to resolve this one -I wondered- would a PCI USB card get around the problem- or would this also prove to be ineffective.
So before rushing out to buy a card for this machine - what are your opinions?

xania 12:27 08 Mar 2006

The sockets at the front of the machine are fed off contacts on the motherboard. These are sometimes individual blocks at the end of each wire rather that a single block plug, an, if any one of these is loose or one the wrong contact, the socket will not work. So its worth checking these first. Also, do the sockets on the back of the PC work? If not then I would suspect faulty USB drivers rather than hardware problems. If those on the back work, then those on a PCI card will also work.

jack 17:03 08 Mar 2006

Thank you for Xania, but it missed the question.
The first part re the case situation has been resolved in earlier threads I mentioned it in passing ,how similar problems come together
Back to the second part - It appears the MoBo sockets, which worked once but no longer do so, and therefore presuming this may be a Hardware fault[ not a driver problem as such]
Would the installation of a PCI -USB card get around dead USB/South bridge circuits on the MoBo?

woodchip 17:23 08 Mar 2006

A PCI card should work

woodchip 17:28 08 Mar 2006

PS you can get cards with a internal USB header so you could connect front usb to that

jack 19:54 08 Mar 2006

Thank you WC
On the strength of of that I will go and spend the oweners pennies in confidence.

jack 14:35 11 Mar 2006

Well having got the said PCI card- that does not want to work either!

What now?
Any ideas any one

mehome 14:40 11 Mar 2006

have you checked if the onboard usb chip is enabled in the bios?

woodchip 20:55 11 Mar 2006

Pull the Wall plug and hold the computer start switch for about 1 minute then put plug back in and retry them

jack 14:06 12 Mar 2006

Will try all that in a couple of days- another job has turned up.

xania 13:27 14 Mar 2006

Sorry, I've been off-line for a bit. The problem stil could be one of those contacts being loose or on the wrong contact. Check these - the problem could be solved quicker than you think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?