USB CF Reader

cowgirl66 12:00 12 Oct 2008

Hi, I have just noticed that this error has appeared next to a USB CF Reader in my Device Manager. It's under the Portable Devices where there is the yellow triangle alert logo.

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I don't know for sure when this happened because so far nothing has gone wrong. Touch wood.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards cowgirl66

cowgirl66 12:02 12 Oct 2008

I have checked on updating drivers and it says the drivers are uptodate.

cowgirl66 12:14 12 Oct 2008

Could this be something to do with it? I haven't enabled or disabled any device and I don't get any error messages when I download photos via USB slot. Why is this error in Device Manager?

click here

jack 12:32 12 Oct 2008

This is important.
What it boils down to is if you have anything later that Win98se up to XP, then you you not need additional software.

So if you have installed a software that came on a disk with the reader - remove it.
It is not needed, Windows can do it all by itself.

chub_tor 12:48 12 Oct 2008

Your Microsoft Support Link does indicate that the error you have is one that is recognised by them as a problem in Vista. Have you got the latest Service Pack as suggested by them (SP1)? If not now might be a good time to try Update and see if it is available for your machine. If you do already have it installed (and you can find out by going to Computer -righ click - Properties and look at Windows Edition) then you can either ignore the warning if it is not troubling you or you can go to it in Device Manager, righ click, uninstall and then either reboot or click on search for new hardware at the top of Device Manager.

cowgirl66 14:13 12 Oct 2008

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you but i had to go shopping.

jack.
It's a Gateway computer with Microsoft Vista Home Premium. I haven't installed any reader. But I have noticed that when I plug in my camera, it is in the Device Manager as subheading under Portable Devices, as is the USB CF Reader which has the yellow triangle icon.

chub-tor.
Yes I have downloaded SP1 and it is under Computer > Properties. Maybe I'll take the first part of your advice and just ignore it - for now.

cowgirl66 18:06 12 Oct 2008

Problem solved! I disabled the CF Reader and then enabled it again. Now the yellow triangle has disappeared.

Thanks to you both for your help in this matter.

Regards cowgirl66

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone