USB Camera Problem with IRQs

lilliebet 19:36 19 Dec 2003

After checking out Kodak's troubleshooting guide, it seems I have a conflict between USB Root Hub and another device and need to reassign IRQs. I've had some suggestions which are potentially quite drastic (eg reformatting but I don't have driver disks)and am hoping someone will be able to give me some plain English advice. I have a PCChips M747 motherboard with built-in USB. My BIOS is AMI and I have my motherboard manual. Hope that makes sense. :-)

spikeychris 19:58 19 Dec 2003

Whats the other device?

lilliebet 21:59 19 Dec 2003

Well, it was showing up as Windows Sound System but bsod told me to disable PnP Aware OS, which got rid of the conflict sign (!) but I still don't have any sound.

splork 23:25 19 Dec 2003

Could you tell us what OS you're using? Windows 98 first edition, SE (second edition), Millenium ?
Its a conflict between your sound card and your USB ports judging by what you've already said, on cheaper motherboards (which PC Chips usually are) it's tricky to solve, the simplest way to test it is to disable your sound card completely via Device Manager (i assume Kodak's help informed you how to access the device manager) and see what results you get.

lilliebet 23:41 19 Dec 2003

When I remove WSS I have to reboot then Windows finds WSS on start upand reinstalls. I'm on 98 btw

splork 23:54 19 Dec 2003

Its not so much removing it as disabling it - hit Windows key and Pause/break on the desktop for device manager, (or right click "my computer" on desktop and select Properties), tick the "Disable In this profile" (i think) box for any devices with the yellow ! by them (except your USB device ov korse :) , including your modem. Then reset, and try once more.

splork 23:57 19 Dec 2003

You may need to set up two configurations in 98 - one with no modem and no sound, to get your camera pictures downloaded, and one `normal` one, with no camera support. I've had problems trying to troubleshoot exactly the same problem myself and it's usually down to an unsolvable USB/PCI slot conflict, only testable with a lot of time, and a selection of soundcards :|

lilliebet 00:12 20 Dec 2003

Since I disabled PnP aware O/S I only have one device with a symbol, the USB root hub. This symbol has now changed to a red X.

splork 00:20 20 Dec 2003

that means its been disabled, untick the `disable in the profile` box

lilliebet 00:41 20 Dec 2003

my (!) is back after reboot. When I try to find a better drive for this root hub thingy I'm told the best driver is installed but then I get an illegal error operation message (Rundll32.exe)and it all starts again.

splork 00:46 20 Dec 2003

Is it 98, or 98 se (versio number 4.10.1998 for the original windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2222A for SE) in device manager.
It sounds as if something is badly wrong, if it keeps crashing..98 never supported USB very well, and SE wasnt much better, do you have a CD with the camera?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?