USB Cables

Samb 13:31 03 Jan 2007

I am trying to establish if it is necessary to purchase a new USB cable when converting from USB1 to USB2. Is there any difference between the cables.

terryf 13:34 03 Jan 2007

try a Google for usb 1 cable and usb 2 cable and see if vendors offer different ones, alternatively Google for usb 1 cable specification and repeat the exercise for usb 2

wee eddie 13:47 03 Jan 2007

To the best of my knowledge there is no difference. The plugs and sockets are interchangeable

Totally-braindead 14:05 03 Jan 2007

This has been asked before and to be honest with you the majority of USB cables will run at USB 2.0 speeds regardless of whether the packaging says USB or USB 2.0. I believe the difference is the quality of the cable. If it says USB 2.0 then it should be a better quality cable made to USB 2.0 standards which are higher than USB 1.1 but having said that the USB 1.1 cable will probably do as well.
You could try it with your old cable first, thats what I'd do.

PaulB2005 16:41 03 Jan 2007

Never seen the difference between a 99p beige cable and a £17.99 silver braided USB cable....

wee eddie 17:03 03 Jan 2007

I agree with you, but then I'm a country boy - a bit slow.

Not one of those city Wiz-kids!

terryf 19:28 03 Jan 2007

Oi wee eddie even us straw chewing, smock wearing yokels from Darzet ain't slow so why should you denigrate yourself where ever you live?

wee eddie 19:48 03 Jan 2007

I was really pointing a certain amount of gentle fun at the Metropolitan Kiddies who think that they can think and react in nanoseconds.

Most of us hairy chested Scots are savvy enough to know when gold plated contacts are a waste of scarce funds.

Totally-braindead 19:52 03 Jan 2007

I'm Scottish and I use the cheap cables, I would certainly not spend a load of cash on a fancy USB cable, gold plated or not.

Belatucadrus 19:59 04 Jan 2007

When I was employed as a buyer I asked a manufacturer what the difference in specification was between a USB 1 and 2 cable, they didn't know. So I asked the people at USB, they didn't have any specific standards for USB 1 & 2 cables either.
I've used USB cables for 69p and the best part of £15 (no I didn't buy it) and never detected so much as an iota of difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?