USB cable are they interchangeable

Miros 10:31 13 Aug 2007

Just bought a new Epson all in one printer, now I find it comes without a USB cable, can anyone tell me if the USB cable from my now surplus cannon Scanner will be OK to use with the Epson printer? It does fit the 'socket'on the Epson.

johnnyrocker 10:31 13 Aug 2007

dont see why not,if it fits ok it should work.

johnny.

Miros 10:37 13 Aug 2007

Thanks, I'm just wondering what information if any is stored in a USB cable i.e. in the two fat pieces at either end if you know what I mean?

LAP 10:58 13 Aug 2007

'I'm just wondering what information if any is stored in a USB cable'

Those cylindrical thingies are cylinders of Ferrite. Ferrite is used to reduce electrical interferrence in the cable. You'll usually find them on monitor cables but manufacturers seem to be putting them on just about everything now.

spuds 10:59 13 Aug 2007

Your original cable could be classed as USB1, but that should not matter, you will not notice the difference.

mitsme 11:38 13 Aug 2007

Hi I also bought an epson printer, no cable.
A freind who was helping me with the instal likened it to haveing a baby with no umbilical cord. That still makes me chuckle! I had a usb cable from my old cable modem, using it & it works a treat.

Miros 11:52 13 Aug 2007

Thank you for you useful info. I will now go ahead and attempt to set it up especially now I have the 'umbilical' cord albeit that it's an old one:-)

Stuartli 11:55 13 Aug 2007

IIRC there are 27 different types of USB cables...:-)

mitsme 12:01 13 Aug 2007

There's many a truth in an old wifes tale. But never ever go back to round pin mains plugs, very bad for the hair, pacemaker or anything else remotely explosive. I speak from experience, took me weeks and a gallon of hair gel to sort out the hair. Whe mum saw the state of me we all thought a pacemaker was the only thing that would sort her out!

Miros 16:25 13 Aug 2007

It's all set up, installed and ready to go, thanks for every ones help.
The second hand 'umbilical' did the trick :-)

It didn't take long but had to repair a leaking waste pipe under the kitchen sink before I could go ahead and tackle it.

Now to start playing with my new toy I trust it will be OK cheers all.

mitsme 18:49 13 Aug 2007

Please tell me ya weren't fixing the water pipe with the USB?

That's never gonna make your printer work. Unlesss you like your electric short outs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?