USB Browser Mouse fails to install

Grrrrrrrrr 15:27 29 Aug 2009

I recently broke a USb Mouse and bought a new Speed Link Plug n Play compatible with windows vista. I am using a Computer with windows vista home premium. When trying to install it I am given the message
" Windows encountered a problem installing driver software for your device"
and
" The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry.This maybe because the... is written for windows 95 or later"
I have rang the computer shop I bought it from and I was told it should install automatically. I have tried several other mouses and they all fail to install and therefore I have realised there must be a missing file within my pc???

I have uninstalled all the usb devices in device manager and reinstall them but still when i plug in a mouse it fails. I also ran a "scannow" and was given a link to a log within windows called "CBS" which detailed problems but I was denied access although I have full administrative control.

I have also restored it to the very last save point this didn't work.

Please Help , Thanks

accordion 08:16 30 Aug 2009

If the mouse is plug n play, you shouldn't need to install any software. Windows should be able to recognise and use the mouse on its own.

Dave

mooly 11:12 30 Aug 2009

Common problem ! with no cure but a workround exists... all credit to Jake for this one,
click here

Grrrrrrrrr 12:25 30 Aug 2009

Thank You So Much ! Have been using mouse keys for around 2 weeks and now I really know how important a mouse is Lol. Moolys response allowed me to have a working mouse within around 30 seconds Thanks alot !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?