USB audio drivers XP Home

Nerk 20:23 30 Dec 2003

I have a HP Pavillion PC with Windows XP Home pre installed.

I have recently bought a Logitech USB microphone. According to the instructions the required drivers are included in XP. The device is recognised but no suitable drivers are found. I have used the browse setting to point to every location where drivers may be with no success.

Logitech support says the drivers should be included in the XP installation and I should contact HP technical support. HP technical support says I have a full copy of XP and I should contact Logitech. Neither of them seem willing to tell me what the required driver files are to let me check if the3y are on my PC.

Could anyone identify the driver files required for USB audio or, even better, tell me where I could download them?

I have the service pack and all recommended XP updates installed.

Thanks

Nerk

hugh-265156 21:27 30 Dec 2003

try pointing windows to the windows xp cdrom with it in the drive.

also see click here

and i would also try clicking start/run type "dxdiag" and click the network tab and then "test direct play voice options" run the wizard and test the microphone here too.

GroupFC 21:47 30 Dec 2003

I am afraid I don't know the answer - I am just putting this in to my postings as I was only yesterday considering getting the same!

BTW, Nerk where did you get them from and if you don't mind me asking at what price?

Nerk 21:43 31 Dec 2003

huggy71
I don't have a CD, the software is on a D partition on the hard drive.I have tried pointing to the installation files and to those in directories on the C drive. The response is always that the files cannot be found.

GroupFC
I bought the PC from Comet in September for £340 without a monitor. The USB microphone was bought from PC World for £24.99 in December.

hugh-265156 02:04 01 Jan 2004

try updating windows xp click here

try start/run type "sfc /scannow" (note space between sfc and /)and click go.

will update then replace any damaged or missing xp system files from your hidden partition on the hard drive.

Nerk 20:00 04 Jan 2004

huggyg71 - Thanks for the response. I tried sfc /scannow. It keeps asking me to insert the Windows CD and I don't have one. I have tried inserting the CDs that I made as a backup to the recovery partition on the D drive but this doesn't seem to be acceptable.
I am convinced that the problem is caused by the absence of the proper drivers but I don't know where to find the names so that I can check whether they are there or not.
The only solution seems to be to buy a copy of XP and be sure I have the full program. I am reluctant to do this as it is an expense that I shouldn't have to bear and I can certainly think of better things to spend the money on!

Nerk 21:26 21 Mar 2004

I have now managed to find a solution.

Go into Control Panel and delete the audio device

Reboot and disable the audio hardware in the BIOS

When the reboot completes with the inbuilt sound system removed plug in the USB microphone and it installs automatically with no problems

Reboot and enable the audio hardware in the Bios

When the reboot is completed Windows will find and recognise the inbuilt audio but will fail to install in exactly the same way as the original USB installation failed

Install the audio drivers by selecting from the list of devices manually

Problem solved!

Nerk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone