USB adapters

Doberman 15:34 14 Sep 2004

I am arranging to have broadband installed by NTL and one of the requirements is a spare USB port. I currently have two ports ,one running the scanner and the other the printer.Can I run the scanner and printerfrom the same port using a splitter? Will this cause any problems?

Old Shep 15:49 14 Sep 2004

You can buy a usb hub some take up to 7 devices. Words of warning, I bought one that just plugged into the computer wouthout its own power,not very good. Got another which plugs into the mains takes 4 devices,very good. The only thing you may find as I did was that my modem does not like to be anywhere but in one of the pc's main usb slots

Diodorus Siculus 16:48 14 Sep 2004

I would suggest a PCI USB card which will provide up to 4 extra ports - they are more reliable than hubs.

wallbash 17:18 14 Sep 2004

I might be totally wrong (often am)but I have a NTL BB connection. And on set up you are asked how you are going to connect the modem. USB or ethernet.

If you have an ethernet/Lan card in your PC , no problems!

A ethernet/Lan is far the better way

Bris 21:35 14 Sep 2004

As suggested its best to get a PCI USB 2 card, failing that get a hub with its own power supply cos USB has a current limit and if you exceed it things stop working, every piece of equipment you attach draws current from it. Second point is that I have heard of many problems associated with connecting broadband to USB which have been cured by using the ethernet adapter instead.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:16 14 Sep 2004

HAve had to sort several NTL USB Modem problems,

Bad connections dropouts etc. NTL cable modems work far better with ethernet cable than USB.

If you don't have a LAN connection on your PC a card costs about £8

Doberman 10:20 15 Sep 2004

Thanks to all respondents ( too numerous to mention individually) It is as I thought and can now sort it out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?