USB adapter vs Notebook card?

stugra 21:49 14 Jan 2006

Please can you advise which is best, a USB adapter for my laptop or a Notebook card?.

My laptop is USB 1.1 and, due to a nightmare with a linksys product recently (won't go there!!) I am now looking at a BELKIN or DLINK modem router with USB adapter package.

Can anyone advise whether Belkin or DLink are regarded as the best please (I know that is a big question), but they are similarly priced at PCworld.

Many thanks.
Belkin click here

D Link click here

hzhzhz 21:58 14 Jan 2006

Im using a Dlink which, after a few niggles sorted out by some excellent members of the forum, runs without a hitch. Im using usb adaptors on 2 desktops and a wireless card in a laptop. No problems.
I recommend the DLink myself.

stugra 22:00 14 Jan 2006

Have just been reading the reviews on the D-Link - looks good - but will my laptop slow the internet connection down using USB 1.1??

Cheers

ade.h 23:24 14 Jan 2006

I think that you should probably go for the more reliable option of a PC card adapter rather than USB. I've seen a few issues with USB adapters. Providing a PC card tended to work better in these cases.

ade.h 23:26 14 Jan 2006

I haven't handled any D-Link routers, but have a flawless Belkin and have since set one up for a few other people.

dms05 09:28 15 Jan 2006

I have a D-Link Access Point (900AP+)and use that with USB, PCMCIA and mini-pci cards. They all work well. The mini-pci card for the laptop does seem the more elegant solution.

I can recommend D-Link for the AP and I'm using Netgear PCMCIA and USB with Broadcom mini-pci. The best advice is 'download all the latest firmware and software before you install' and with a min-pci card 'install all the drivers and reboot before fitting the mini-pci card otherwise you WILL have problems'

The only problems I've ever had was with a Safecom mini-pci card which had terrible software - widely reported on many forums,

Forum Editor 10:28 15 Jan 2006

to go for a Belkin router coupled with a Belkin or Linksys PCMCIA notebook adapter.

ade.h 15:26 15 Jan 2006

I second that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires