USB 4 Port Hub Install Probs

busybaz 18:21 14 Jan 2009

Windows XP SP3, v5657. Asus A7N8X-E Motherboard

Having trouble installing a [cheap & nasty?] Mikomi 4 Port USB Hub [unpowered, but has a connector for 5v input]. Install seems to start OK with "Found New Hardware, USB Device, Unknown Device" changing to "Your new hardware is installed & ready to use".
Shortly afterwards, however, get "USB Device Not Recognised. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message".

Shows in Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus Controllers as Unknown Device.
Properties page Device Status box shows "No drivers are installed for this device. If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter." [Troubleshooter, she no good!!!]
Similarly, Driver Details button on Driver tab produces "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device".
However, Drivers Tab shows details "Driver Provider: Microsoft, Driver Date: 01/07/2001, Driver Version 5.1.2600.0, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Component Publisher", exactly the same as for USB Root Hub entries - go figure!

Has anyone any ideas at all as to what the problem might be?.

Technotiger 18:28 14 Jan 2009

Can you try the hub on another computer - hub might be faulty.

Bris 19:17 14 Jan 2009

I would ignore the messages relating to "no driver files are required" etc as my USB connected HP printer does exactly the same but works fine. My guess is that the hub is faulty. As Technotiger suggests try it on another PC.

Bris 19:18 15 Jan 2009

Just another thought - USB devices draw current from the port they are plugged into unless they are separately powered and the current available on a port is small such that if you connect too many devices and the current limit is exceeded then devices will crash in the manner you describe. Its possible that the hub is exceeding the port limit so the thing to try is to unplug ALL USB devices except for the hub and see if you get the same problem. You could also try connecting a 5 volt supply to the hub in which case it will not draw current from the port and any device plugged into it will be powered by the 5 volt hub supply but that may cost more than you paid for the hub.

busybaz 19:21 15 Jan 2009

Thanks for responses, took advice and dug my old PC [running WIndows 2000] out of mothballs & tried to install hub. Started with Found New Hardware, USB Device, Unknown Device, installing.

Immediately changed to Completing The Found New Hardware Wizard displaying "USB Device. An error occurred during the installation of the device. The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance"

If installation failed, why an entry in Device Manager [complete with exclamation mark] and "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)"??? [Code 28 apparently means the drivers are not installed!!!!!!]

Said hub will be returned to vendor tomorrow.

Thanks again for the input.

busybaz 14:05 14 Feb 2009

Returned problem hub, bought a 7 port [LinkIt] hub, installed no problem.

Technotiger 14:09 14 Feb 2009

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?