USB 3G Modem Issues

orbitals 22:01 30 Sep 2007

I have recently purchased a USB modem from T-Mobile. To install the device you "simply" plug it in and wait for the installation process which is installed on the modem.

The problem...
When I plug mine into my laptop the XP system finds the new hardware and tries to install it as a CD-ROM! Does anyone know of a way of repairing the USB drivers so that this wont happen.

I have deleted the USB driver profiles and re-installed them however the same proces happens. I really do not want to re-install the OS, but i think it may be my only option.

The device works fine on all other PC's.

Thanks,
Andy

brundle 22:17 30 Sep 2007

Install on another PC, go to device manager, find out which driver file(s) the modem is using, when installing on your own machine, allow it to install then go into device manager and use `Update drivers` to point the device to the correct ones.

orbitals 22:53 30 Sep 2007

Thanks for your reply.

I have just tried this but the device manager wont let me enter a new path to the driver files. I can "update driver" however this wont accept the .SYS filepath.

Do you know if this is something I can change in the registry? I have also tried updating the driver using the files from the manufaturer website, yet the system says the files are not relivent to the hardware!?

All help is appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017