usb

jon2 12:32 12 Sep 2008

Am I right in thinking that I can unplug and plug in usb conections without any problems being caused

Eric10 12:39 12 Sep 2008

USB devices can be unplugged so long as they are not transferring data at the time. Flash drives and external hard drives can still be writing data after the dialogue box has disappeared off the screen (writeback cache) so you need to be very careful with these or the data can be corrupted.

EARLR 13:46 12 Sep 2008

Safe to remove hardware.

good luck

Marko797 13:51 12 Sep 2008

be careful, and don't just unplug. As Earlr says, go thru the 'safe to remove hardware' process by right clicking the icon near the clock, and let it advise it's now safe to unplug. If u don't, then u might end up with corrupt data, which happened to me and I lost some work.

BurrWalnut 14:26 12 Sep 2008

Unless you have changed the default, clicking the ‘Safely Remove’ icon for a USB device is not necessary. With storage/memory devices, go to Start > Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter to see if the drive appears under ‘Disk drives‘. If it does, right-click it > Properties > Policies Tab and check if you have a ‘Quick Removable’ check box. A USB ‘drive’ should have a check in this box. Reboot if you change anything.

Internal hard disk drives use ‘Optimize for performance‘ and also ‘Enable write caching on the disk’. I suggest you always use the same port and don’t be too hasty in unplugging a device. Also, a common hardware problem is a bad connection caused by repeated off-angle insertions and removals. Where possible plug the device into an extension lead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?