USB 3.0 MB Header for USB 2.0 Connection

iqs 16:23 31 Jul 2014

Hello. I have two USB 3.0 MB Headers on my Gigabyte MB.

One is currently being used for the front USB 3.0 ports

The second is un-used,and both my USB 2.0 MB headers are in use.

Can I connect a USB 2.0 device to this header ,or must I use a cable that converts an USB 2.0 device/cable to a USB 3.0 connection.

I ask because.I have just fitted a new Corsair PSU,which has the link option. I plan to but the USB adapter/lead which connects to the supplied Corsair link cable.

Thanks

iqs 17:41 31 Jul 2014

Hi, Im not in front my PC at the moment,so I can not tell you the make of MB,sorry.

My MB has two 20 pin USB 3.0 headers. One is being used by my front USB 3.0 ports

My 2 USB 2.0 MB headers are in use by my card reader & front USB 2.0 ports.

The spare 20 pin USB 3.0 header,I wish to use for connecting the Corsair Link Cable.The end of this cable is the standard USB 2.0 connector .So it wont fit directly onto the USB3.0 header.

I require an adapter which has the 20 pin USB 3.0 connector,and the USB 2.0 male connector. The male end will connect to the Corsair female USB end

Hope this help :-) Thanks

rtp8™ 19:06 31 Jul 2014

If budget allows why don't you simply get this USB">http://">USB 3 backplate which is USB 2 backward compatible too.

rtp8™ 19:18 31 Jul 2014

<< Did you look at the Corsair link cable because that will not work. >>

Yes I did but why make it complicated, a USB 3 header is for a USB 3 connector/adaptor.

rtp8™ 19:52 31 Jul 2014

<< am I missing something? >>.

Yes, did you look at << *Hello. I have two USB 3.0 MB Headers on my Gigabyte MB. One is currently being used for the front USB 3.0 ports The second is un-used,and both my USB 2.0 MB headers are in use.* >> ?

iqs 14:26 01 Aug 2014

Hi all.

Thanks for the interesting replies The cable from Amazon at £8 is exactly what I require . The male ends will connect to the link cable perfectly Now,its time to order the parts.

Thank you all again for taking the time to assist

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?