USB 3

geedad 21:24 03 Feb 2011

If a peripheral (external drive) is USB 3,
does the PC recognise the faster mode?
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
geedad

northumbria61 21:52 03 Feb 2011

You would need a USB3 adapter (pci card or the like) to dapt your current Computer to use USB 3.0
They are backwards compatible.- see here for example click here#

There are two types of USB 3.0 adaptor cards card that can be bought right now to add USB 3.0 ports to a computer.

There are PCIe cards for desktops and ExpressCards for laptops or notebooks.

PCIe Cards

To install a PCIe card you will need to open up your computer and push the card into place. This operation scares some people but if you check out the procedure for installing a PCIe card (you could try a search of You Tube), you will see that it is pretty painless. Most USB 3.0 PCIe adapter cards have two USB ports and all will work equally well with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0.

ExpressCards

Installing an ExpressCard is even easier. Just slip the card into the ExpressCard slot and you are ready to go. Usually, the card will be recognized instantly and you can go ahead and use the pair of USB 3.0 ports without rebooting.

geedad 22:50 03 Feb 2011

northumbria61
Thanks, but what is an ExpressCard?
geedad

northumbria61 23:08 03 Feb 2011

click here You would have to see if you have a spare PCIe slot in your PC (your graphics card will be using one) - simple to fit - just slots in. Another one here with 2 USB ports click here

northumbria61 23:13 03 Feb 2011

See easy installation here - click here just click through the 8 pages.
Shouldn't take you more than 10-15mins.

northumbria61 23:24 03 Feb 2011

Picture here of motherboard showing what the slots look like click here

geedad 23:55 03 Feb 2011

northumbria61
Brilliant, and thank you again!
geedad

KremmenUK 07:07 04 Feb 2011

I have been looking at USB3 for some months now - but - from the reviews I've been reading it's probably not worth it just yet.

Most of the reviews point to the write speed of your current platter based HDD's which is more than likely well below the theoretical speed of the USB3 standard. This is of course taking into account later USB3 equipped external HDD's and not the current USB2 ones.

As a result there are many posts of discontent around. I've even seen complaint posts where some other bottleneck has cut in when an external USB3 SSD has been connected.

I've yet to see a post where the statement actually notices much difference between 2 and 3.

northumbria61 12:08 04 Feb 2011

KremmenUK - I agree with your comments. USB3 is new and I haven't really been reading many of the reviews simply because I have no plans at this moment in time to upgrade to it. I always prefer to wait to see how "new" things go before making any changes. However "geedad" is now more aware of what is needed should he wish to upgrade.

Muergo 14:44 04 Feb 2011

I have USB3 sockets on my new PC, what do I use them for? just treat them like USB2's
What equipment will benefit from using them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017